Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Q: Is it too easy to hit play/streaming when you meant to tap download?

BeyondPod Team

Q: Is it too easy to hit play/streaming when you meant to tap download?

When on the Feed Content screen some users have stated they feel it's too easy to miss the download button and streaming starts instead (by tapping play in error).

We're looking at different ways to address this issue.

One idea is to limit the play/stream action to tapping the icon area (similar to Optimize for Reading mode) and to move the download button more to the right but at this point we're open to feedback/suggestions.

Basically we're looking for two things-

Do you feel it's too easy to start streaming when you meant to tap download?

If so how would you address this issue?

For reference below is the screen as is.

Last edited by tim; 08-15-2013 at 05:17 PM.

I find that when I try to view the episode notes, I sometimes click on the main part and end up streaming instead.
    In this case, the icon for showing the episode notes is far too small, and it's not clear how big it is.

BTW, thanks to your post, I've now found the Optimize for Reading setting, which should make things a lot easier.

Yes, I find it's too easy to start streaming when tapping download.
    I suggest to ignore a short tap to play and add a context menu
    when doing a long press.

Yes, I find it too easy. You could remove the download button and when a episode is touched, have another dialog popup to ask, Stream or DL? I like Mase's idea, too.

I have mine setup to not stream except over wifi.

Yes. It infuriates me to no end when I attempt to add a podcast to my playlist and instead I find it has detected my finger 1mm to the top AND DESTROYS THE PLAYLIST; replacing it with just the unfortunately chosen episode. I'd like to see the description be used entirely for the "info" button so that the stakes are "view the episode info" instead of "erase your 10 hours of organized playlist."

Kindly don't suggest the "Optimize for reading" setting, as while it does often save me, it is quite ineffective. The unfortunate add/erase-to-playlist still happens, and even when I want to view the episode notes in this mode, I'll tap clearly in the description and yet it will ERASE THE FSCKING PLAYLIST and start streaming/playing.

TL;DR Make room for more description, make whole description the info button, move actions to the action bar in icon form, please add mass-action mode?

I would like to see the info icon removed and the description area become the "info" button and be entirely dedicated to the title and description by moving the date to where the download button currently is (and since there's no more stuff utilizing that small under-description info bar, I'd like to see it gone to make room for more description). I'd like to see the download/delete interaction made into a single button beside the add-to-playlist button. As for the tile, I like its interaction as it is, but I think that there should be a smaller stream icon (the small radiating antenna) put at the bottom left of the tile when it's in 'streaming' limbo.

I'd also like there to be a long-press menu which will allow access to 'add to playlist', 'delete/download', 'mark new/read', and an added mass-selection feature to affect many at once. Perhaps when entering this mode the bottom bar could serve as the list of mass actions available, and episodes could be selected by using the tile as a checkbox?

PS. I'm not sure why the add-to-playlist button is removed while the episode is downloading, but would you turn the action bar into a download progress bar in lieu of having no action available? If at all possible I'd just like to still have the add-to-playlist option. Adding to playlist and then downloading does no harm; I see no reason the same outcome in a different order isn't possible, is it?

List form:
    - Merge the Delete icon into a Download/Delete interaction which changes icon according to action to be performed.
    - Move 'info' functionality to whole description area. Remove info icon.
    - Remove the the small info-bar in the bottom of the description area.
    `- Move the stream indicator to the bottom left of the tile in a smaller icon form
    `- Move the date to the left side of the episode action bar
    - If possible, allow keep the 'add to playlist' action available.
    `- If not possible, please consider replacing the episode action bar with a progress bar:
    ``- Keep the date in as close to original position as possible, have the background of the bar act as progress bar, place the percentage in the center of the bar, and have a cancel button on the right side of that bar.

Extra:
    Implement a mass-action mode accessed by long-press menu on any item within a feed.
    Last edited by ladedadooda; 09-14-2013 at 02:05 PM.

Yes, far too easy for my chubby fingers. Also, I sometimes find it hard to click on the episode info icon without hitting something else. Frankly, not sure how I'd fix it.
    Using BeyondPod on the Daily!
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus, JB4.2.1, Lightning Launcher

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    @BusBuddha Have you tried setting "Optimise for reading"? That makes the entire description the hotspot for opening the episode notes.

Menu | More... | Settings |*Feed content settings

Julie

I haven't, but will check that out. Thanks!
    Using BeyondPod on the Daily!
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus, JB4.2.1, Lightning Launcher

I have Automatic Playlist disabled, but it seems to randomly clear my playlist and play episodes from two weeks ago. It's inspired me to start shopping for an iPod or another application (although I purchased this one). I also find that sometimes when I attempt to manually add to the playlist, it starts playing a stream. Sometimes it simply plays it and the playlist is fine, but others, I've found the playlist "damaged".

If I can prevent it from automatically replacing my playlist and if it had an option to automatically add items in the playlist to the download qeue, I'd be happy. When I'm running or driving and suddenly I hear a news podcast from August 23rd and it's September 14th, I am not happy.

I've tried a couple different apps so far. I found one that I really like, but it has issues syncing to bluetooth in my Toyota Camry, so I'm stuck with this app until they fix it or I buy an iPod.

Another suggestion - as a workaround until these issues get resolved - is to offer the ability to save/load the playlist, so when the program arbitrarily replaces the playlist, I can reload it again.
    Last edited by tbihn; 09-14-2013 at 04:15 PM.

I have had that issue. I turned off streaming: Settings > Player Preferences > Streaming Preferences > Never. Problem solved. Since VSC doesn't work with streaming, I never used it anyway.