Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Q: Is it too easy to hit play/streaming when you meant to tap download?

Sorry I haven't visited the forum in a while...

Optimize for Reading seems to solve my problem in this area. I don't think I've ever started an episode playing when I meant to download it, but I have often started an episode playing when I wanted to read the episode notes. This illustrates that settings are a disease. All these user choices are not a substitute for a coherent predictable design.

Playing with Optimize for reading just now reminded me of how much I dislike the little popup that's used to show episode notes from the Now Playing screen. Wouldn't life be easier if there were only one view for showing episode notes?

BeyondPod Team
    It's a bit of a leftover from when most Android phones had a pathetic amount of memory, so it was necessary to show a less rich version everywhere except in the feed itself.

Now that most devices have more memory, it'll probably get changed as the UI in that area gets refreshed.

Julie

Yes, why is it not possible that the down load happen automatically rather than requiring a tap?

BeyondPod Team
    If you have the paid version, you CAN schedule downloads.

I also am having this issue.. I'm constantly accidentally hitting the "play" portion of the podcast while trying to hit the "download", "add to playlist", "information", and the "toggle played" buttons. It drives me nuts.. this player would be perfect for me if not for this.. my suggestion would be to limit the "play" button to only the size of the podcast picture on the left, and to add some size and separation between the buttons, as well as clearly defining the edges of the buttons.

BeyondPod Team
    Quote Originally Posted by arglebargle4 View Post
    my suggestion would be to limit the "play" button to only the size of the podcast picture on the left.
    You can already do this: Menu | More... | Settings | Feed Content Settings | Optimise for Reading

HTH
    Julie

Everybody here agrees that this needs to be changed. The question we need to ask is how should it be changed.

I have the same issue as Ladedadooda.

Quote Originally Posted by emacee1701 View Post
    I have had that issue. I turned off streaming: Settings > Player Preferences > Streaming Preferences > Never. Problem solved. Since VSC doesn't work with streaming, I never used it anyway.
    Even if you turn off streaming, You download the episode, then try to add the item to the playlist. If you miss the 'add to playlist' button, then it starts playing the episode. This would destroy a playlist.

All I want is to add a way to automatically download unread episodes and create an auto playlist, oldest to newest. The episodes should be marked as read and deleted automatically after being read. I have found no way to do this in settings.

Option 1) Limit the play function to the Feed Icon on the episode list.
    Option 2) Take Play fucntion away from the episode bar altogether, and add a button to play to the left of the download button.
    Option 3) Take away the options bar below the episode list, make options pull up into a Toast style menu that genereates from where your finger selected. Options would be: Play (if already downloaded), Stream (if not downloaded, and streaming content is allowed, instead of 'Play'), Info, Download (if not downloaded), Add to Playlist (with option to download first, or stream).
    This setup would separate the options and give a simplified view to the episode list.

Set up your SmartPlay program with a single rule, Oldest 50 episodes, category "All Feeds".

As I mentioned, responding to you in another thread, downloads are scheduled by category; look at Menu/Manage Categories.

BP has lots of settings, and finding your way around them can be a challenge.

BeyondPod Team
    Quote Originally Posted by avemt1 View Post
    If you miss the 'add to playlist' button, then it starts playing the episode. This would destroy a playlist.
    This only happens if you have Automatic Playlist enabled (Menu | More... | Settings | Playlist and Widget Settings | Automatic Playlist). If you disable it, then playing an episode will add it to the end of your existing playlist.

All I want is to add a way to automatically download unread episodes and create an auto playlist, oldest to newest. The episodes should be marked as read and deleted automatically after being read. I have found no way to do this in settings.
    Dennis has accurately described how to do this in the post above. The default setting for After Playing is, in fact, Delete and Play Next.

Option 1) Limit the play function to the Feed Icon on the episode list.
    Option 2) Take Play function away from the episode bar altogether, and add a button to play to the left of the download button.
    That's already available using Optimize for Reading (Menu | More... | Settings | Feed Content Settings | Optimize for Reading). With that setting enabled, you have to tap on the episode artwork to play the episode.

HTH
    Julie

Quote Originally Posted by juwlz View Post
    You can already do this: Menu | More... | Settings | Feed Content Settings | Optimise for Reading
    Thanks a ton for this. Made my experience a whole lot better