Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Q: Is it too easy to hit play/streaming when you meant to tap download?

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    @kore7 As mentioned a few posts above, you'll probably find it helpful to select Optimise for Reading in the Feed content Settings. That way, you have to tap on the feed artwork to play an episode.

Hi juwlz.

Sorry for coming off cranky on the last post. Was sick over the holidays, so it wasn't intentional.

Thanks, I do have that option checked off. I was talking about the Feed View actually. What I think BeyondPod did was change it so the episode text now brings up the full description instead of activating play/pause. Before then, it was really easy to play the episode instead of delete it. So, problem solved, I believe.

Happy New Year.

BeyondPod Team
    Quote Originally Posted by kore7 View Post
    Sorry for coming off cranky on the last post. Was sick over the holidays, so it wasn't intentional.
    No problem. We all have bad days

Optimise for reading works in both the Episodes view and the extended Feed view, so ticking that box is probably what's changed.

Happy New Year to you too

BeyondPod Team
    Quote Originally Posted by kore7 View Post
    ... which means the episode I'm listening to gets interrupted unexpectedly by an episode I had no interest in! Because of BeyondPod's interface, I then have to stop playback, and navigate back through all the panes to find the exact same episode I was listening to before. It makes me wary of deleting a downloaded episode each time I have to do it.
    You could also switch off Automatic Playlist in Menu | More... | Settings | Playlist and Widget Settings. If you do that, any episode you accidentally play will simply be added to the end of your playlist (tap the player tab again, or drag down from the top of the player view), and you can just go back to the top of the playlist to resume what you were previously playing.

Julie

OK, here's a related issue that I is not fixed (for me) yet:

A long time ago, I discovered that long-pressing the grey numeral next to each feed (in feed view) is a shortcut way of playing all the downloaded episodes of that feed in order. I didn't keep track of exactly when, but in the last upgrade or two, this shortcut feature went away. Why?

UPDATE: Further investigation shows it didn't quite go away, it just stopped functioning if another episode is already playing. But the whole point of using this shortcut was that one didn't have to navigate to the player view, pause the currently playing episode, then navigate all the way back to the feed view and play the new feed! Previously, this shortcut would do all of the above in one long-press, no matter if a podcast was currently playing or not.

Yes

To answer the main question, a big fat YES. BeyondPod overall is great but there are a few annoying things about it. The ease at which streaming kicks in is one of the big ones.

Other annoyances are the sizes of the buttons for info and mark as read (the little blue radio button). They should be bigger.

Streaming would be nice sometimes, but to me it seems like a feature that wouldn't be used all the time because you might go inside a building or a tunnel and your connection will cut out. But I disable it entirely because it will start streaming if you get your finger anywhere near the phone.

The layout on the version of BeyondPod that I had almost 2 years ago was superior to the newer layouts.

BeyondPod Team
    Thanks for your feedback.
    Work is underway on the new UI for BP 4.

What did you prefer about the BP2 layout compared with BP3?

Julie

Yes. I would move the download button or add a stream button to this screen.

BeyondPod Team
    There's a major UI redesign in the works, so all of this will be resolved by that.

I am having a similar issue. i have looked for ways but I haven't been really successful. Your tips have helped a lot. Thanks!