Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disable auto-start when phone connects to vehicle's Bluetooth

Question Disable auto-start when phone connects to vehicle's Bluetooth

I have a 2011 VW GTI with Bluetooth phone and audio capabilities. I've had 3 separate Android phones running BeyondPod Pro (Org Moto Droid, Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 4) and on all three, whenever my phone connects to my car, BeyondPod launches itself in the notification bar and remains open until I manually close it. Is this an intended feature? Can it be disabled?

Thanks in advance,

-ReRun

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Welcome to the forum.

I think this is Android being "helpful", and making sure you have quick access to whatever audio it thinks is in use at the time that you connect your phone (which typically equates to whatever audio app you were using last).

If you only want to use the Bluetooth for phone calls, you could disable the Media Audio in the Bluetooth settings on your phone for the car's bluetooth, which should stop Android from automatically starting up an audio app to use it.

If you have some other use case, it would be useful to know what it is. A more lateral thinking approach might be appropriate

HTH
    Julie

Quote Originally Posted by juwlz View Post
    Welcome to the forum.

I think this is Android being "helpful", and making sure you have quick access to whatever audio it thinks is in use at the time that you connect your phone (which typically equates to whatever audio app you were using last).
    Thanks for replying so quickly Julie. Unfortunately I do not think this is the case since I will quite often have Google Music or Audible being the last audio apps closed before entering my car. The only audio app that I have the seems to launch itself is BeyondPod. I was hoping there was a setting that I just had overlooked to disable the feature. Is it not an intended feature? Am I the only one experiencing this?

I definitely want to continue using Media Audio within my vehicle. Depending on the day (and whether I have little ears in the car) I may want to play audio from any one of the three mentioned apps.

Please dont get me wrong. It's not a big deal, just more of an annoyance. I have enjoyed using BeyondPod for a few years now as I think it's one of the best podcast subscription apps for Android.

Thanks again,

-ReRun

BeyondPod Team
    Fair enough. I'll see what I can find out.

Julie

I'll test this on various audio apps on my phone too, I've always found it useful that if I switch to external (bluetooth/line in) it will always open BP (on bt) but that's exactly what I want. I never considered why it opened BP and nothing else.
    Little too much to drink just now to consider popping out to the car but I'll have a check sometime tomorrow and see what matches up with Julie and ReRun.

This happens in my 2012 Toyota Sienna as well. The moment I pair, BeyondPod opens up and starts playing and I have to shut it off. If I'm listening to Spotify and make a hands-free call, the moment the call ends, BeyondPod overrules Spotify and starts up, and starts playing. It's actually quite annoying. I'm hoping this can be looked at. I love BP so much, but this is not something I love.

I have a GS3, running 4.1.1. It also does it on my wife's GS2, also running 4.1.1.

BeyondPod Team
    I have a GS3, running 4.1.2, and I'd quite like it if it happened for me. Clearly, there's something specific to setup somewhere that makes a difference.

Julie

I have a similar issue with my aftermarket Alpine car radio using Bluetooth. After Bluetooth connects my phone to the radio, the radio's front display says "Searching." If I have audio files in the folder used by the phone's music player, those start playing.
    If I have episodes in my Beyond Pod playlist (but no music player files), then those start.
    If I am listening in the car, turn off the car radio and turn it back on again, Beyond Pod starts playing where I left off.
    If I go the car from listening elsewhere and start up with episodes in my playlist, after the radio stops "searching," Beyond Pod immediately jumps past the first episode in the playlist and starts playing the second episode. As a workaround, I've learned to clear my playlist before I start the car (and car radio). Still, this is a bit of a hassle.

BeyondPod Team
    Most likely your Alpine sends the PLAY command when a device is connected, many car units do. You can probably configure the Alpine not to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by emacee1701 View Post
    I have a similar issue with my aftermarket Alpine car radio using Bluetooth. After Bluetooth connects my phone to the radio, the radio's front display says "Searching." If I have audio files in the folder used by the phone's music player, those start playing.
    If I have episodes in my Beyond Pod playlist (but no music player files), then those start.
    If I am listening in the car, turn off the car radio and turn it back on again, Beyond Pod starts playing where I left off.
    If I go the car from listening elsewhere and start up with episodes in my playlist, after the radio stops "searching," Beyond Pod immediately jumps past the first episode in the playlist and starts playing the second episode. As a workaround, I've learned to clear my playlist before I start the car (and car radio). Still, this is a bit of a hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by tim View Post
    Most likely your Alpine sends the PLAY command when a device is connected, many car units do. You can probably configure the Alpine not to do this.
    The confusing thing for me is that the play command (I'm not using Alpine, but Toyota stock) will override everything I already have playing, including Spotify, Google Music, Pandora, and cause BeyondPod to launch. The play command makes sense, and would be nice insofar as it resumed anything already playing, but it seems like BeyondPod is the one who responds. Even if it was completely shut down before.