Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BP fails to proceed to following episode

Question BP fails to proceed to following episode

It happens more often than not - I have a bunch of subsequent podcast episodes downloaded in a given feed. I listen to one of them, and when it completes, BP stops, returning an exclamation mark. I then have to open the episode list, mark the last as already listened to, and play the next one manually.

It happens with all kind of feeds.

What's your "After Playing" setting? See Settings/Player Settings/After Playing. You probably want wither "Play next" or "Delete and play next".

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    If you're selecting an episode to play from the Episodes list, do you have Automatic Playlist enabled in the Playlist and Widget Settings? (Menu | More... | Settings | Playlist and Widget Settings).

If not, and you're selecting an episode from the Feed or Episodes view, it will only ever play that one episode and then stop (although there are other ways to get episodes on your Playlist to play automatically, such as Smart Play).

Julie

You are missing the point - I hinted I have automatic playing of next episode enabled, and it does work in 50% of cases.

BeyondPod Team
    Since it's not consistent, and not a configuration issue, to be able to work out what's going wrong and why, I'm afraid we'll need a lot more detailed information about exactly what happens and when.

Is it confined to particular feeds? (Either for the episode just played or the episode about to be played?)
    Does it make any difference whether the affected episodes are downloaded or streaming?
    If downloaded, are you downloading to an external SD card or built-in storage?

Next time it happens (and you're in a position to do so), could you immediately capture the Android log on your device, which should help to identify what happened. (NB: The log is shared by all processes, even though each app can only access its own log entries, so it fills up fast and overwrites old data, which is why it's important to capture it immediately.) To do this, use Menu | More... | Settings | Advanced Settings | View Logs | View Android log. From the menu you can then send the log to support. Please include in the accompanying text what you were doing at the time, which episode had just finished, and what should have played next, and include a link to this forum thread.

Julie

>>>> Is it confined to particular feeds? (Either for the episode just played or the episode about to be played?)
    No, as earlier mentioned. Affects most (if not all) feeds.

>>>>> Does it make any difference whether the affected episodes are downloaded or streaming?
    I never listen to streaming episodes. Always download them first.

>>>>> If downloaded, are you downloading to an external SD card or built-in storage?
    Always external SD.

>>>>> To do this, use Menu | More... | Settings | Advanced Settings | View Logs | View Android log.
    I am on 3.1.39 and there is "Advanced settings" within Settings in BeyondPod.

BeyondPod Team
    Sorry, I missed a bit.
    Menu | More... | Settings | Menu (again) | Advanced Settings

Julie

Here is the log up to and beyond the crash which occurred around 14:29

http://pastebin.com/vjvNPC9S

BeyondPod Team
    Thank you. To complete the picture (as requested), what were you doing at the time, which episode had just finished, and what should have played next?

Julie

I was doing nothing.
    The phone was laying flat on the table, untouched since 15 or 20 minutes, as always when it happens.
    One episode finished, and the subsequent was supposed to be played.

The names are visible in the log, and the log is attached to the post that was supposed to be here, but apparently it was not approved by board moderators.