Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scheduled feeds update, but episodes don't download

Unhappy Scheduled feeds update, but episodes don't download

I have more feeds subscribed than I can usually listen to. So some of my feeds have a mix of archived, downloaded, read , passed, and deleted episodes. BBC in particular deletes podcasts in their feeds before I can get to listening to them. Eventually I have a burst of listening time and I catch up; I don't want to miss episodes in the meantime.

So I schedule updates every few days to get 5 newest episodes, and I set the max episodes to keep to 25, 100, or even 999. My problem is that I'm seeing updates run at the scheduled time, but nothing updates. Or one episode in one feed darn loads, but many feeds don't. I have to still go through each feed and queue each episode's download manually. What an I doing wrong? In case it matterS, I have scheduled the category 'All feeds" (but tests of scheduling my BBC category didn't give better results).

Any help?

Tom

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    To understand what's happening, we'll need to see the Update Log from times when episodes should have downloaded, but didn't. The log will show what happened and why. To get it, go to Menu | More... | View Update Log

OK. I unfortunately got inpatient and manually downloaded a number of podcasts just before your reply, but after more careful review, I found "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me", where I have 21 episodes previously downloaded- up to the episode labelled 8/24, and episodes 8/31 and 9/7 were not downloaded.

Last Updated: Sep 11 1:00 AM, took: 3 min.
    Scheduled Update

Completed - NPR Programs: Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me! Podcast
    Url: http://www.npr.org/rss/podcast.php?id=35
    Downloaded: 15787, starting at position: 0 took: 561 mSec. at 27.48 KB/Sec
    Content Size: 2303. Cache Size: 15772
    Content Date: Wed Sep 11 00:50:20 EDT 2013. Cache Date: Mon Sep 09 00:58:22 EDT 2013
    Feed has Image: Yes, image downloaded: Yes
    Content Compression: gzip compressed

NPR Programs: Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me! Podcast
    **New Podcasts: 0, Download Max: 5, Keep Max: 25

Processed Feed is Empty!

Device Network Connections: WIFI

Background data Allowed
    Last edited by twv; 09-11-2013 at 01:34 PM.

<incorporated above>
    Last edited by twv; 09-11-2013 at 01:36 PM.

You've configured that feed to only download five episodes (Download Max: 5), so BP won't download more automatically. The Keep Max of 25 prevents automatic cleanup when the number of downloaded episodes is below that.

Have a look at the Download Options for the feeds you're having trouble with.
    Last edited by Dennis Rockwell; 09-11-2013 at 10:58 AM. Reason: grammar...

Confused by your reply. No episodes were downloaded for this podcast over the past several scheduled updates, even though episodes are available on the server and fewer than the Keep Max are already on my mobile device. I set Keep Max to 25, but I only have 21 episodes already downloaded so expected automated download of up to 4 more . I configured automation to download a Max of 5 available episodes, and only 2 are on the server. I expected that the two episodes would be downloaded last night, then one More in each of the next two weeks before the feed would be "full". I elided from the except above that episodes for a couple other podcasts did get downloaded , 1 episode each with Download Max set to 5, just not all my podcasts with available episodes. And why did the scheduled update log that there were no new episodes to download? Is there a special meaning to "new" in this context?
    Last edited by twv; 09-11-2013 at 01:53 PM.

I peeked in Beyond pod's directory structure and I see the "cache" item is the XML file which references the episodes available, including the missing (from the download) 8/31 and 9/7 episodes . The podcast directory contains the 21 mp3 files. So I still don't know what I should change to get the other episodes to be automatically downloaded. Thanks for any help.

There are two per-feed settings, Download Max and Keep Max. If you already have Download Max episodes on your device, BP will not download any more during an update. Keep Max is the number of episodes that Cleanup will leave in place.

The feed shows a Download Max of five. You have more than five episodes already downloaded, so BP doesn't download any more.

Edit the feed in question (I have the tablet version, so yours may show differently). Look for the section "Download Options", where it says "Download 5 episodes". Change the 5 to a larger number, like 30 in your case. Save the feed and update again.

I guess I misinterpreted the term "download''. I thought it referred to a limit on bandwidth during any one scheduled update (download as an event); you're telling me it's really another limit on storage, the way I thought of "keep". So then, the difference between them isthat at the beginning of an update cycle the oldest episodes read will be deleted until the feed has no more than Keep Max episodes, and then new episodes on the server that aren't already local will be downloaded until the total stored locally reaches Download Max.

I may be Making another assumption. I figure an episode isn't "old" until I've read it. That I can block download of additional new episodes until I've listened to episodes so they can be cleaned to make a hole for additional downloads . Is this correct, or do the oldest episodes get deleted to make room for new downloads regardless of their read/ unread status? How about the Age Max setting? Does this apply to unread episodes? And that leads to archive episodes that are local but no longer on the server: are they considered read or unread for purposes of cleanup? They no longer have the blue "unread" button, but sometimes I'd like to protect a couple such episodes from automatic cleanup,

Thanks!

No, I must still be missing something. Beyondpod enforces that Download Max must be set less than Keep Max. And Keep Max disappears when selecting Download in Order. So I'm as lost as ever.
    Last edited by twv; 09-11-2013 at 11:08 PM.