Thread: Cloud-based Syncing?

Cloud-based Syncing?

I know that BeyondPod currently has a cross-device sync for phone and tablet, but they do not sync feeds and playlists. Will BeyondPod ever evolve to offer a cross-platform, cloud-based, complete sync that allows for editing a playlist on one device, and picking up on that same playlist on another? I'm just wondering if I should stick it out with BeyondPod, or try to transition to a cloud-based podcatcher such as Podfy... (which has WAY less functionality than BeyondPod, but the essential ability to pick up where you left off with complete sync between devices and across platforms).

+1 for this.
    I just switched from Stitcher to Beyondpod because there are way more customization options and it's just more stable.
    But I really liked that I could manage everything for Stitcher from my desktop, and then just use my phone to play it.
    I guess using Feedly is the best way to do this for now? but you can't do too much and there aren't nested categories or anything.

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Work is in progress. See this thread in the Developer forum (and the link to the original thread, which you can post to).

In the meantime, there are other lateral thinking suggestions here.

Julie

I agree that simply having the ability to automatically sync playlist settings would make this feature infinitely more useful. (Not to mention that not having to remember to backup settings would make switching phones a lot easier.)

BeyondPod Team
    One of the fundamental principals for Episode Sync in BeyondPod is that your devices don't all have to have the same setup and use pattern. You could use different devices for different use cases (e.g. more videos on a tablet / more audio on a phone) but still sync the episodes that they have in common. With that in mind, each device is in control of what episodes get added to its own playlist, and behaves as though any episode played on another device was played on this one. That means that playlist syncing per se doesn't really make sense because different devices may not even have all the same feeds.

Having said that, syncing of SmartPlay rules (which I think is what you're asking for) may be added in future versions, but to do that you also have to sync changes to feeds (which is possible already) and categories (which isn't), so it's not quite as simple as it first sounds.

Julie

I do see what you're saying. Since you have created this system of accounts and storage of data outside the device, it would be nice if that system could be used to back up settings and preferences. Perhaps that would be a separate feature to this.

BeyondPod Team
    Certainly the option to Share a Backup to the sync service (from Menu | More... | Settings | Backup and Restore | Share Backup) is already under consideration. In the meantime, you can share via any service that will accept a file, such as Dropbox, Box, eMail, Drive, etc. Sending it over Bluetooth is possible, but possibly unwise. On the receiving device, when you click on the backup's file name, BeyondPod will offer to open it for you to restore from it.

NB: The sync servers only hold transient data. Anything more than 2 weeks old is considered out of date, so even if/when it gets implemented, this is not a good place to "save" your backups. It would only be a way to send them to your other devices more conveniently.

HTH
    Julie

I guess the issue is remembering to do a backup every time after adding/removing/changing settings. Most apps that have a cloud component allow you to simply sign on to a new device and all your settings are copied down from the cloud. I'm just saying that this would be an excellent feature, and since you're developing a cloud component to BP, now is a great time to look into doing it.

A few months late, but I'd like this feature also. I like the idea of the way it is now where you can have 2 devices that sync what they have in common, but can still have different feeds, settings, etc. But I would like to have another option to sync everything. Playlists, read/unread, settings, etc. I'd like to use Beyondpod on my phone, listen or change podcasts and episodes, change settings, and then have that sync to my tablet with all the changes, settings and all. I know the file directories where podcasts are kept are different between devices, but it seems like everything else could be changed successfully.

BeyondPod Team
    Thanks for your feedback.