Thread: An odd problem I've discovered.

An odd problem I've discovered.

I've put this in the How To forum as I presume I'm doing something wrong or you'll need more info which you'll probably need to tell me how to get for you (I don't have a huge amount of 'computer smarts' but enough to get by)

OK:
    BP tablet 3.10.39
    Asus ME301T 10" tablet w/ Android 4.2.1
    MX Player 1.7.19

Feed: The Coolest Stuff On The Planet: http://www.howstuffworks.com/podcast...the-planet.rss

Now all of these play on my phone with no problem, only the tablet doesn't work but that's not the problem.

I've noticed that when click play in external player it plays fine in mx player but doesn't delete it when its finished.
    This is ok if its a downloaded episode as they're easy to find, long click and delete but the streaming ones are an absolute <bleeeep> to find.

Streamed videos that fail are somehow storing something that shows as a read and downloaded episode and I have to search through a huge feed to try and find the one with (stream) next to it.

What's it saving? I'd rather it didn't bother saving anything if I'm streaming it. It shows up as a number in the episode list thing, that list on the left where you get a number if you downloaded something in that feed.

I'm sure there's a perfectly reasonable explanation but I'd love a way to not have to hunt them down and delete them

Edit: Go for the oldest episodes, the newer ones work fine on the tablet
    Last edited by KH_; 09-24-2013 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Forgot

I'm reposting this thread, I'll explain why

The thread has had many views but no replies and at the same sort of time there is a post I get a 406 error trying to view.

I wonder if my question also glitched when I posted, hence the re-post:

I've put this in the How To forum as I presume I'm doing something wrong or you'll need more info which you'll probably need to tell me how to get for you (I don't have a huge amount of 'computer smarts' but enough to get by)

OK:
    BP tablet 3.10.39
    Asus ME301T 10" tablet w/ Android 4.2.1
    MX Player 1.7.19

Feed: The Coolest Stuff On The Planet: http://www.howstuffworks.com/podcast...the-planet.rss

Now all of these play on my phone with no problem, only the tablet doesn't work but that's not the problem.

I've noticed that when click play in external player it plays fine in mx player but doesn't delete it when its finished.
    This is ok if its a downloaded episode as they're easy to find, long click and delete but the streaming ones are an absolute <bleeeep> to find.

Streamed videos that fail are somehow storing something that shows as a read and downloaded episode and I have to search through a huge feed to try and find the one with (stream) next to it.

What's it saving? I'd rather it didn't bother saving anything if I'm streaming it. It shows up as a number in the episode list thing, that list on the left where you get a number if you downloaded something in that feed.

I'm sure there's a perfectly reasonable explanation but I'd love a way to not have to hunt them down and delete them

Edit: Go for the oldest episodes, the newer ones work fine on the tablet

Hope this one works

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Post merged into the original thread to keep everything in one place.

BeyondPod Team
    @KH_ Could you please clarify what's happening? By definition, if you stream an episode, there is nothing to delete.

I'm guessing that what you're describing is that in certain circumstances, BeyondPod is not marking the episode as Played? Or is it that it IS marking the episode as played, even if playback failed?

Note that if you play with an external player, BeyondPod cannot get any information about progress etc., so as soon as it has passed the request to play an episode to the external player, it has to assume that it HAS been played, and should be updating the feed information accordingly.

Thanks
    Julie

I can re-create the problem by streaming any episode of any video or audio podcast.

On the left hand side of the tablet version you have the list of feeds and if you have downloaded any episodes there is a number showing how many episodes you have physically downloaded.

If I stream anything it shows that as a downloaded episode, checking the file manager there isn't anything actually there but beyondpod thinks I have downloaded the episode I'm streaming and increases the number showing how many episodes are downloaded.

It does this in external and internal player. If I exit the video/audio before it finishes playing it shows as a downloaded episode.
    This is what causes the problem. As you say using an external player marks the episode as read but it doesn't reduce the downloaded number until I find the streamed episode, long press and select delete.

If I allow the episode to finish, using the internal player, it does then reduce the downloaded number when the episode finishes.

Hope I explained that ok.

BeyondPod Team
    OK. What you're seeing is the database entry that BeyondPod creates for streamed episodes so that it can keep track of playback position (if you're using either the internal player, or an external player that will report back to BP where it's got to).

If BP knows what external player you're using, it could not create the record if it knows that the external player can't report back the playback position, but it's safer to always create it (and the choice of which player to use potentially happens AFTER BP has passed the episode details out to Android for an external app to be chosen, so it can never be sure). Unfortunately, this means that if the player doesn't report back, BP never gets a trigger to remove the database record.

However, you don't need to find each individual episode to delete these orphan records. On the tablet, with the appropriate category (or All Episodes) selected, long press any episode, and choose Select Played from the overflow menu, and then choose Delete. On the phone version, go to Episodes view, and select Delete Played from the Menu.

HTH
    Julie

Thanks Julie, I'll give that a go as soon as I can