Thread: Option to play video podcasts in background

Option to play video podcasts in background

Hi,

I'd like to be able to play video podcasts in the background. Currently beyondpod pauses video podcasts when its no longer the front app. Audio podcasts continue to play in the background, and there's an option (that works) to keep playing if the screen is off, but there doesn't seem to be any way to

Allowing this would let me respond to emails/etc without the podcast stopping - the video is a 'nice to have' for some podcasts.

The newest beta has an option to play videos as audio, but I'd like this to be more flexible - rather than a toggle, can that option to changed to be an option like: Always/Never/only in background ?

Google nexus4 on 4.3

Bradley

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately, there's no neat way to do this, or it would already be available with the latest change (the current beta moves the "Play as Audio" setting to be a tick box that you access directly from the Settings menu, so it's much easier to toggle it on or off, rather than having it buried deeper in the settings as it used to be).

Android doesn't allow videos to be played in the background, so BP would have to stop video playback, re-start in audio-only mode and seek to the same place in the file (and vice-versa when it comes back to the foreground). Unfortunately, it just wouldn't work smoothly enough - seeking won't be accurate enough on every device and every feed and every OS version to work seamlessly.

Sorry
    Julie

Hmm, there are apps that can do it (eg https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...84.videoplayer)

I just did a quick (and very very ugly) test with a basic activity/service and a SurfaceView, using MediaPlayer. It does stutter a bit and lose a few seconds. (Mind you, in my version it also loses a few seconds of audio on orientation changes, and beyondpod copes with that)

FYI, I got this to work with the 'MXPlayer', using it as the external player for videos, and selectiong the 'background play' option in mxplayer. That does its own decoding, so presumably isn't restricted by the android framework limitations.

(I'd tried this before with 'background video player', and that worked standalone, but not through beyondpod's external player option. I'm hoping that this isn't working due to a bug, that will make this break with a future update...)

Its not perfect (eg after returning from MXplayer to beyondpod, beyondpod thinks that the episode is played, plus the notifcation widget isn't as good), but it does what I need, so....

... and following the instructions in http://www.beyondpod.com/forum/archi...php/t-743.html (Adding 'partner_player' to the list of supported file types) makes the play location work with mxplayer (not with vplayer for some reason, even though http://www.beyondpod.com/Android/help/FAQAPIs.htm only documents that and not mxplayer...)

I have had beyondpod for many years now and this is the only thing that has bugged me about it.
    Even worse when I first started using it playing while minimized on my android worked and there was no play as audio option.
    When this Play as audio was implemented they removed the ability to minimise and continue to play video.

This option in no way or practically replaces the ability to just move into another app and continue playing videos.

Years later officially still annoyed
    Thank you for making it worse not better implementing play as audio.

Can we now have this as the latest versions of Android do allow video in the background? YouTube does it quite happily.

Thanks!