Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Premium Feed Not Working

BeyondPod Team
    I spent some time trying to figure out what is going on. BeyondPod does follow the (normally accepted) procedure for sending authentication information with the request. From what I can tell, it seems like their server responds in a particular way that triggers an exception in our HTTP handling code (we use the standard Apache HTTP infrastructure).

Generally the process should work like this:

1. We request the URL without authentication first.
    2. SGU server responds back with authentication challenge (telling us that in order to get the URL it needs authentication). It also tells us what type of authentication we should provide
    3. We resubmit the request with the requested authentication.
    4. They give us our content

Based on what I have seen so far, the process breaks at step 2 where SGU's server response seem to be missing something. This causes the Apache code to interrupt the load claiming that the response was malformed. We tried several quick workarounds (for example sending the authentication with the first request), but there is still something that the Apache code does not like in the response. Checking the response with curl does not show anything out of normal, so there must be something small that Apache code does not like.

Our next step is to go through the Apache code and figure out what exactly is throwing it off in the response. Once we know that it may be simply a matter of telling the SGU admin to adjust their response (this should fix this for other apps that may experience similar issue) or we can do some changes on our side to handle the response better.

Stefan

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiserbrug View Post
    I'd be happy to privately share my username and password with BP employees so they can debug.
    Thank you for the offer.

BeyondPod Team
    We did a bit more investigation on the issue and found that the core problem lies in the (401) authentication response that SGU's server sends back when we request the premium feed. As part of this 401 response, it sends an incomplete authentication header - the header specifies the authentication type (basic) but does not specify the "realm" as required by the standard.

SGU's response header looks like this:

WWW-Authenticate: Basic

As per the RFC 2617 standard, it must look something like this:

WWW-Authenticate: Basic realm="SomeRealm"

I sent an e-mail to SGU's web master explaining the issue. Let's hope that it will be easy for them to fix this on their side.
    If they can't (or don't want to) we can still craft a workaround on BeyondPod's side and release it in one of the next beta versions.

Stefan

Stefan is the bomb-diggity

Quote Originally Posted by StefanK View Post

I sent an e-mail to SGU's web master explaining the issue. Let's hope that it will be easy for them to fix this on their side.
    If they can't (or don't want to) we can still craft a workaround on BeyondPod's side and release it in one of the next beta versions.

Stefan
    We've made the change to the SGU's premium feed and are now sending the proper Response Headers. We've just setup the SGU's Premium feed on two different Android devices using BeyondPod.

Huge thanks to Stefan for the heads up on the issue... I'll be honest we were barking up a completely different tree.

BeyondPod Team
    SGU's premium feed should be working now. I just got an e-mail from their web master that they were able to update their servers and now they are responding correctly.

I did a quick test and it worked for me so please give it a try (...and if it works... thank SGU's webmaster for responding and fixing it quickly).

Stefan

Confirmed - I'm successfully downloading the SGU Premium feed now without any changes to my feed settings.

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Quote Originally Posted by scenario77 View Post
    We've made the change to the SGU's premium feed and are now sending the proper Response Headers. We've just setup the SGU's Premium feed on two different Android devices using BeyondPod.
    Thanks for updating the compatibility web page too ;-)

Julie

Confirmed - The premium feed is now working.

Thanks for the quick fix everyone!

Also confirmed, thank you to BeyondPod and SGU for solving this problem.