Thread: Synchronizing with Desktop clients

Question Synchronizing with Desktop clients

Original thread is here: http://www.beyondpod.com/forum/showt...Podcast-Client

I'm sorry I didn't see this thread when I posted a request for an API.

If you do decide to write an open API that anyone can write to and sync a 3rd party app. I will be more than happy to write code for the API in php and python.

Some of the apps that a 3rd party could create would be:
    A web page/app to manage their beyond pod, or even listen to podcasts through it.
    A a plugin for media player on a computer could sync.

I've been writing a media player in python on linux, and I think it would be kinda cool if I could keep it in sync with beyond pod. Right now I'm using bit torrent sync to get all the files from the beyond pod folder on my sdcard to my computer I notice that you're using sqlite. However it appears to me that these are just backups, and not up to date.

I was hoping I could use the data from there to update my database so I'm not listening to the same podcast twice.
    Last edited by juwlz; 10-21-2013 at 06:16 AM.

BeyondPod Team
    the7erm,

We are certainly interested in extending BeyondPod synchronization to the desktop/web (and other platforms). BeyondPod has 2 general extension points that can be utilized for such synchronization:

The first approach is somewhat independent of BeyondPod. It involves creation of a small Android application (plugin) that interacts with BeyondPod. BeyondPod will notify the plugin when certain events occur (playback position changes, episodes are downloaded/deleted etc.) and then the plugin can sync that information with whatever service is required (gPodder or any other app). We already use similar approach for the Flatter plug-in that was built by one of our users so the API is already working. This provides a simple way to attach "extra" functionality to BeyondPod without having to modify it extensively. People that need this functionality can install and configure the plug-in and it will work "on top" of the standard BeyondPod install.

The second approach is to tap into the existing API we use for our Cross Device sync infrastructure. This will not require any "on device" code, but will require people to enable cross device syncing (even if it is only for one device). To use the API, a third party app/or web site needs to implement our cross device syncing protocol (including authentication and token management) and behave as if it is a "virtual" BeyondPod client.

If you have time to invest into building such syncing, we can talk further (probably directly) and decide what approach makes more sense. I know that there is a large group of people that use gPodder and gPodder already has syncing capabilities that use syncing protocol that is similar to the one we use. It is possible that the simplest solution is to just create a protocol converter service that will "link" our sync with theirs.

Stefan

Please feel free to contact me via the email I used to register on the forum. From there we can decided if we want to chat via irc, skype or whatever works for you, or we could keep it all in email. Either way it doesn't matter.

I'm going to venture to guess you were referring to the Flattr plugin.

The second approach is to tap into the existing API we use for our Cross Device sync infrastructure. This will not require any "on device" code, but will require people to enable cross device syncing (even if it is only for one device). To use the API, a third party app/or web site needs to implement our cross device syncing protocol (including authentication and token management) and behave as if it is a "virtual" BeyondPod client.
    What do you have in mind? I'm a server guy, so I think it'd be cool to host it locally. Writing something in php, or python (most likely a Flask server) isn't that hard of a thing for me to do. It's just a question of how far you want to go with it. Databases, or serialized file? 1 user or 1 million users.

There are a lot of different ways to look at this. Currently it seems to me beyondpod is contacting your server to sync. Writing something that contacts your server and syncs the info is just as easy to do. I'll look into the gpodder api.

I look forward to hearing from you,
    Erm

BeyondPod Team
    Erm,

The approach that I think is worth investigating first is if we can somehow piggy back on the protocol that gPodder uses and create a "bridge" between BeyondPod sync and gPodder sync. If we can get this to work, it will solve a problem for many people and cover all the platforms gPodder supports. Did you have a chance to look at the gPodder api?

Stefan