Thread: Videos playing in background - Can't get it to work

Videos playing in background - Can't get it to work

I found a post from May of 2011 about playing video podcasts in the background. I found the setting where I can manually turn the screen off and the video will continue to play the audio, however for the life of me I can't figure out how to get a video to continue playing audio if I try to do something else on the phone, like check email. I have the video added to a smartplaylist and I am playing it from there. I've tried playing it in the external player and that doesn't work, either. As soon as I try to do anything outside of beyondpod the audio quits.

Any suggestions?

BeyondPod Team
    Most devices stop the video if you navigate away from the video player.

With BeyondPod you can get around this by playing the video with the audio player. This way you'll get the audio only of a video.

To do this check this setting-

Settings>Playlist/Widget Settings>Allow Videos in Playlist>UNcheck

Then add the video to the playlist. Note that if you tap the video to start it will still play via the video player. It must be added to the playlist to play audio only.

Thank you for responding. I have unchecked to allow video in the playlist and them I long pressed the video and added it to my playlist. You say do not tap to play but there is no other way I can see to get the video to play. With the video in thebolaylist and playing from there it still will not allow me to leave beyondpod without stopping the play back.

BeyondPod Team
    Once the video is in the playlist, go to the audio player, open the playlist drawer and tap on it - it should start playing in the audio player as if it was an audio file.

Sorry to bump up an old thread.
    Was searching on how to playback video in the background.

I manage to get audio to play in the background.
    And in the post view, I do see the status of the video get changed from "play" to "pause" and vice versa when I tap the pause/play button.
    And when tapping on the video, the video does get played, but the audio/video from each respective previous position.
    i.e. they are not sync'ed.

Would like to know is there a way to launch the video after I'm done with the other task to continue from the current audio position?

Thanks.

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    I've just tried this on my (unlocked, international) SGSIII, running beta version 3.0.31.
    With Allow Video in Playlist UNticked, I can add a Video podcast to my playlist and play the audio from it.
    If I pause it and resume, I still only get audio, regardless of where I restart it from (the playlist or the Feed view).

However, if I pick another audio podcast to play and pause, and then select the video podcast from the Feed view (to get the video), it picks up in the correct place with the video in sync with the point in the audio that I'd got to.

Do you get the audio and video out of sync on every video podcast (every episode from different feeds)? (If not, what's the feed and/or episodes?)
    What version of BeyondPod are you using?
    What device and OS version are you using?

Julie

Thanks for helping to testing the steps out.

After your description, I went through the steps again.
    I realize that it is actually working (in sync) if I'm not impatient to test it out.
    If the audio or video has played for a few more seconds, it will be in sync. Only if I played it for a few second, it seems to be slightly out.
    Thus, it is actually working as it should.

My apologies and thanks again.