Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For one Podcast feed only, feed is checked but not downloaded - despite settings!

For one Podcast feed only, feed is checked but not downloaded - despite settings!

This is driving me nuts! I've tried everything, but still no resolution.
    Can any one help?

I have one podcast feed that is not following the rules set.
    BP is supposed to DOWNLOAD the latest 4 episodes and keep a maximum of "" - i.e. it doesn't matter how many "x" is, the same thing happens. It's also set to delete each episode after playing.
    When the feed is checked, BP shows the episodes but doesn't actually download them. I have to do it manually.
    I have numerous other feeds set to a similar regime, and they work faultlessly.
    Any ideas, anyone?

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Welcome to the forum.

What's the URL of the feed you're having problems with?
    What setting do you have in the feed for Delete Episodes older than?

I assume you have the paid version of BeyondPod? (or none of your episodes would download automatically)

Julie

Quote Originally Posted by juwlz View Post
    Welcome to the forum.

What's the URL of the feed you're having problems with?
    What setting do you have in the feed for Delete Episodes older than?

I assume you have the paid version of BeyondPod? (or none of your episodes would download automatically)

Julie
    Hi Julie -
    Thanks very much for your quick attention.
    The URL is "http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/radio4/today/rss.xml"
    The feed's Episode Cleanup setting is to "Keep at most 4 local episodes. Delete episodes older than: 4 days"
    - but I've also tried other numbers. I think it was 10 days before this.

Yes I am using the paid version (it's a bargain!)
    Cheers!

BeyondPod Team
    Are you in the UK? I know there are a lot of restrictions on some BBC content (and I'm in the UK, so I may not have a problem with it when I try it), so just want to eliminate (or include) that as a possible issue.

BeyondPod Team
    I've just tried it. It seems that they publish 4 episodes per day, so I set it to download the latest 4, and keep 8; I left the number of days unchanged from my (the) default of 99999.

Everything worked exactly as expected, so I guess the next thing is to check your Update log to see what it says. You can find the log at Menu | More... | View Update Log

I'd expect you to see a (red) Failed Episodes section, which should give some error messages. Further down, you should also see a Feed Processing Details section, where you'll see more red entries for the episodes that it's failing to download.

If the errors you see don't immediately identify to you what's going wrong, please post those parts of the log contents here.

Julie

Thanks Julie - yes I am in the UK - and this podcast used to download fine in the past.
    That's why it's so irritating!
    I feel that I've done something in the settings that has changed it's behaviour, but I can't, for the life of me, find what it is.
    I have checked the before, and not found any errors, but I will do so again and come back to you.

OK - I feel a "red-face" moment coming soon, but anyway here goes! -
    I've checked the "Feed Download Details" in the Update Log for today's episodes, and there were no errors.
    Basically it's telling me that all four episodes downloaded successfully, and gives the file sizes, how long it took etc., as normal.
    The episodes appear in the feed's episodes window, but I still have to manually tap the pin to actually "download" them.
    They should automatically download and then - because of the SmartPlay configuration I have created - go to the top of the playlist without me having to do this.
    I don't have to manually do this with any of the other podcasts in the playlist.

BeyondPod Team
    OK. So what does the log say when they HAVEN'T downloaded automatically?

Well, presumably, the log that is currently viewable is showing what happened when I manually downloaded the last 4.
    So I will have to wait until the next 4 become available tomorrow before I can't answer this.
    I'll post again then.

Thanks for sticking with me on this one, Julie!

BeyondPod Team
    Yes, the log will always be the most recent one, so if you've done a manual download most recently, that's what you'll see.

One other thought: do you schedule updates by category, or just have one schedule for All Feeds? (I'm just wondering whether perhaps this feed isn't included in the category you have scheduled updates for.)

BTW, you can keep the most recent 10 update logs by ticking Enable Logging near the bottom pod the advanced settings (Menu | More... | Settings | Menu (again) | Advanced Settings)

Julie