Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: For one Podcast feed only, feed is checked but not downloaded - despite settings!

Hello again!

First - to answer your last question:
    No, I don't schedule updates by category - I use one schedule to update All Feeds, yes.

So going on to the Update log -
    There are NO Error messages. Everything has gone fine.
    The feeds have all been checked,
    But the feed update entry for "Best of Today" feed says:

Unchanged - Best of Today
    - followed by the usual feed details.

So the Feed Processing Details part of the log says:

Best of Today
    New Podcasts: 0, Download Max:4, Keep Max: 16 (I changed that to 16 from 10 yesterday)

- as you'd expect, if the Feed Update Details says "Unchanged"
    Consequently No Download is made! Of course!

But when I go to have a look at the Episodes window - there they are: 3 (it's always one fewer on Saturday!) "unread", and ready to be downloaded manually!
    And they're still there now unread but not downloaded - after 3 more Updates!

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Mine says (I've mostly only included the bits relevant to this feed)

Last Updated: Oct 20 6:45 AM, took: 3 min.
    Scheduled Update
    Downloaded Feeds

• BeyondPod Blog
    • Best of Today

Downloaded Episodes

• Today 19/10/13: What does 'Englishness' mean? (2 MB in 3 sec.)
    • Today 19/10/13: Whistleblower: 'I cant get back into work' (5 MB in 4 sec.)
    • Today 19/10/13: British Gas Twitter move draws ire (3 MB in 3 sec.)

Feed Update Details

Completed - BeyondPod Blog
    • Feed Url: http://feeds.feedburner.com/beyondpodforandroid
    • Downloaded: 24921, starting at position: 0 took: 614 mSec. at 39.64 KB/Sec
    • Content Size: 0. Cache Size: 24921
    • Content Date: Sun Oct 20 06:32:42 GMT+01:00 2013. Cache Date: Sat Oct 19 05:53:02 GMT+01:00 2013
    • Feed has Image: Yes, image downloaded: Yes
    • Content Compression: gzip compressed

Completed - Best of Today
    • Feed Url: http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/.../today/rss.xml
    • Downloaded: 38256, starting at position: 0 took: 98 mSec. at 381.22 KB/Sec
    • Content Size: 38256. Cache Size: 38323
    • Content Date: Sat Oct 19 11:00:11 GMT+01:00 2013. Cache Date: Fri Oct 18 13:07:03 GMT+01:00 2013
    • Feed has Image: Yes, image downloaded: Yes
    • Content Compression: Not Compressed

Feed Processing Details

BeyondPod Blog
    Download Latest, New episodes: 0, Download Max: 50, Keep Max: 50, Delete if more than: 99999 days old.

Best of Today
    Download Latest, New episodes: 3, Download Max: 4, Keep Max: 8, Delete if more than: 99999 days old.

Processed Feed is Empty!

Feed Download Details

Completed - Today 19/10/13: What does 'Englishness' mean?

Completed - Today 19/10/13: Whistleblower: 'I cant get back into work'

Completed - Today 19/10/13: British Gas Twitter move draws ire

Device Network Connections: WIFI

Background data Allowed

Environment Info

DEVICE: samsung GT-I9300 (m0xx) with Android 4.1.2

DEVICE STORAGE
    SD Card Root: /storage/sdcard0
    Optional Root: /mnt/extSdCard
    Cached SD Card Root: /mnt/extSdCard (use cached root, keep missing episodes)
    External SD State: mounted
    BP location on SD: /storage/sdcard0/BeyondPod, Exists: false
    BP location on Optional: /mnt/extSdCard/BeyondPod, Exists: true
    BP will use: /mnt/extSdCard/BeyondPod
    Free space: 892 MB

Note that there's a difference between just updating the feed (tapping the circular refresh button with single arrow at the top of the screen with the feed open) and downloading episodes from the feed (tapping the update circular button with two arrows at the bottom of the screen in the list of feeds).

Is it possible that your update is scheduled to happen before he feeds have been posted (as you can see, mine is for 6:45 in the morning, so I get the previous day's episodes), but you have Update on Open Feed set (
    Menu | More... | Settings | Feed Update Settings | Update on Open Feed), so that when you open the feed it tells you that the new episodes are there, even though they hadn't been ready when your scheduled update occurred?

(btw, I posted this by choosing email to support from the menu when viewing the log, deleting the support email address and replacing it with my own. I then opened the attachment and copied and pasted from there.)

Julie

Thanks again Julie.

No, I don't have "Update on open Feed" set.
    My 'All Feeds' category is set to update automatically every hour - starting at 07:00
    Generally, the "Best of Today" programme episodes become available (get posted) each day around 11:00 (except the Business one of the 4, which happens earlier - usually 7:30 to 08:00).
    I'm sorry - I can't cut and paste the log in question, because it has now been superceded by numerous other ones according to my schedule of hourly updates.
    All I can say is that everything appears to be working as it should be - except that this feed 'updates' but doesn't 'download'.
    I'll cut and paste tomorrow morning's logs after the 11:00 and 12:00 scheduled updates, when the Today episodes have become available (no "Today" today, Sunday, of course)

[Btw - I'm using the 'BP for Tablets' version of the app, on a Samsung Galaxy Note 8, GT-N5100, running Android 4.1.2. - Just noticed there's an ever so slight discrepancy in your description of where the "update circular button with two arrows" is on your device, compared to where it is on mine - to the right of the "+ ADD FEED" button at the very top of the page - in any view.
    Don't know whether there's a bug in the tablet version, maybe?
    I've no idea how these things work at that level!]

BeyondPod Team
    Quote Originally Posted by Onebrow View Post
    I'm using the 'BP for Tablets' version of the app, on a Samsung Galaxy Note 8, GT-N5100, running Android 4.1.2. - Just noticed there's an ever so slight discrepancy in your description of where the "update circular button with two arrows" is on your device, compared to where it is on mine
    I don't have a tablet to hand just at the moment to check what happens there, but there are (currently) a number of differences between the phone and tablet versions; what I was describing was the phone version.

Thought so!
    No worries!

Firstly - Sorry! - I was totally unable to post yesterday and most of today Too much happening at "work".

So I'm going to post today's logs.
    I don't know why - once again, maybe it's an issue with the tablet version of BP - but I'm not given an option to "email to support", and nothing comes up when I tap the menu button on the device when viewing the logs. So I'm afraid I'll have to insert links that you can access them from. After much trial and error I've ended up having to do it like this. I wish there was an easier way! Sorry to make it so tedious.

The first one arrived (as unread) at 07:15,
    Here's the log of the 08:00 feed update which relates to that episode of the podcast:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...20am%20log.pdf

The next 3 arrived (as unread) at 11:33, 11 41, and 11.49, respectively,
    So here's the log of the 12:00 feed update which relates to these episodes of the same podcast.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...dday%20log.pdf

I'm also adding the 11:00 feed update for comparison:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...20am%20log.pdf

Note that "The Film Programme" podcast uses the same "Download Options" as "The Best of Today" (except it's set to download 1 episode, rather than 4 episodes), downloaded automatically during the 11:00 Update, and took it's place in my SmartPlay playlist as configured, but "The Best of Today" episodes don't actually download at all, but just appear on the episodes screen as unread (and, of course, UN-downloaded!)!
    The Feed is obviously behaving as if it's been set to "Manually Download Episodes" - like the "TED Talks one", for example, which doesn't appear in the "Feed Processing Details" at all!

Also I don't understand why some feeds are logged as "Unchanged - ", and others as "Completed - ", when clearly, there hasn't been a download OR any change in the feed status, i.e. there are no 'unread' episodes ready to download either.

Well, if anyone is still interested in this thread - I have finally sorted the problem out, now, but not really by any logical method!

In the end it was the "re-boot" method that worked:
    I deleted the feed, then re-subscribed to it, and configured the feed and playlist settings all over again from scratch.
    It's now finally working the way it's supposed to!
    Thanks for your input, though Julie.

BeyondPod Team
    Glad you got it sorted!