Thread: Inconsistent metadata display

Inconsistent metadata display

I have a weird and annoying issue with the way episode metadata is being displayed (or not being displayed) in BeyondPod.
    In the Episode View, the metadata seems to be missing, I only see the filename in place of the episode name:

EpisodeView.jpgEpisodeDetail.jpg

But in Feed view, the full information is available:

FeedView.jpgFeedviewDetail.jpg

I should add that the Player view only shows the filename, as well.

This happens to some episodes, but not others. I don't see any correlation between what works and what doesn't. Any idea what's up here?

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Metadata will go missing when the connection between the media file and the database is lost. BP knows where it downloaded the media to, and the database of metadata is linked to that local path and filename.

If the file is moved or renamed after having been downloaded, or if there's a problem reading the file (more likely if using a removable SD card*), the connection between the file and database is lost. However, if "Retain Missing Episodes" is ticked in the Podcast Storage section of the Advanced Settings (Menu | More... | Settings | Menu (again) | Advanced Settings), this will be restored in the case of temporarily being unable to read from a card (or if the file gets moved/renamed back to the original name as downloaded). If it's not ticked, then if the file goes missing, the metadata will be deleted from the DB, so even if the file is restored (or becomes readable in the case of intermittent problems reading a card), there will no longer be metadata there to use.

*Sometimes this can happen with large SD cards on older devices, or with an old SD card - reformatting can often help.

HTH
    Julie

Julie,
    Thanks for the explanation. I think I understand now how metadata for a particular file can go missing. But what I don't understand is how BeyondPod seems to be able to display the metadata on one screen (Feed view), but not on another (Episode view). I would think that if the metadata had been cleared from the DB, it would not show on either screen. Is there a way to force BP to re-sync the database to the files that are actually on the SD card?
    I do have "Retain Missing Episodes" ticked, FWIW.
    Thanks.

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    I think what's happening is that in the Feed view, BP is accessing the actual feed (if you have a data connection) with all the HTML etc., whereas everywhere else it's using a local plain text copy of a small portion of the data.

There are some technical reasons why this is the case, although it may be changed in future versions.

Julie