Thread: Playing to nowhere (sound disappears) when playing via Bluetooth

Playing to nowhere (sound disappears) when playing via Bluetooth

I tried to connect my Motorola Razr Maxx (4.1.2) to my car (Subaru Outback).
    Connection works fine, music from the phone plays to car speakers also fine
    When I try to play BeyondPod - it plays for 3-5 seconds and then sound disappears. BeyondPod player shows seconds going, but there is no sound (neither from the phone, nor from the car speakers).
    If I use external player - there is sound playing, so it is internal player that doesn't work.

PocketCasts works fine in this situation - so there is something in BeyondPod player that behaves like that.

When I connect my bluetooth headsets (normal headsets I mean, not the car - SonyEricsson MW600 and Jabra Talk) - both work fine with BeyondPod, there is no problem at all.

So it looks that there's something wrong with combination BeyondPod+Subaru.

Can it be fixed? Probably there are some settings to be changed or what?

Thank you in advance!

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Hi and welcome to the forum.

I'm not sure what would / could stop the sound output once it's already started. BeyondPod doesn't directly control the output - it simply passes it to Android to be handled.

Are you using speed adjustment in BeyondPod (i.e. do you see 1x or some other number x at the end of the progress bar on the player screen)?
    If so, do you have a third party speed adjustment app installed (such as Presto)? If you do, try uninstalling it. BeyondPod now has built-in speed adjustment which is generally better behaved.
    If you are already using built-in speed adjustment, try disabling it in the beyondPod settings Menu | More... | Settings | Player Settings | Playback speed, untick Enable Speed Adjustment) and see if that makes a difference.

Is there any possibility that another app (e.g. automatic profile changers such as Tasker, Llama, et al, or Motorola's built-in profile feature - I forget what they call it) is detecting the presence of the car's bluetooth and turning the volume down? In fact, when the sound goes quiet, have you tried checking the volume using the phone's volume buttons?

Julie

juwlz,
    thanks.

I use BeyondPod speed feature - and I tried disabling it (no result).
    It doesn't look like the problem is in speed.

I do not use and profile adjustments (and sound is at maximum level - tried adjusting it when it looks "silent")

PS: Pocketcasts works with speed adjustment, although I sometimes need to pause and then start playing again.

BeyondPod Team
    I'm not sure what could be happening then.

Could you please reproduce the problem when you're not driving and get a log for us. It may or may not show anything, but it's worth a try.

1. Connect to the car bluetooth
    2. Start playing a podcast episode from the start (still with Speed adjustment disabled - NOT just set to x1)
    3. Note the time stamp when the sound goes silent
    4. Let it play for another 10-20 seconds
    5. Pause playback
    6. Retrieve the Android Log (Menu | More... | Settings | Menu (again) | View Logs | View Android Log; then from the menu select Email Support.

In the text of the email message, please mention this forum thread (with a link to it if possible), and note what the timestamp was (from step 3) when the playback went silent.

Note that the Android log is updated continuously by all Android processes, even though each app can only see its own entries, so it's important to retrieve the log immediately after reproducing the problem, otherwise the relevant data may get lost.

Just a random last thought: do you have Fade-in enabled in the Advanced Settings? And if so, does disabling it make any difference? (Menu | More... | Settings | Menu (again) | Advanced Settings | Enable Fade-In (in the Player settings section).)

Thanks
    Julie

Julie,

I sent the log today.
    There was no fade-in enabled
    Speed adjustment was enabled - I disabled that (did not work)
    in advanced settings there was Sonic Player enabled (did not help either)

Sound disappears between 3rd and 4th second. Pausing/ resuming do not work.
    Another podcast app also loses sound, but after pausing and resuming it it recovers sound (which then is not lost).

BeyondPod Team
    Thanks. We'll look out for it.

Julie

BeyondPod Team
    The log file doesn't show anything specific, but there are different ways that Android can publish metadata, and not all Android device / Bluetooth device combinations handle them the same.

Could you please go to Advanced Settings (Menu | More... | Settings | Menu (again) | Advanced Settings) and see whether or not you have Publish Current Episode set in the Player Settings section. I suspect it's probably ticked - if so, please untick it. (And if it's not, tick it and see what happens.)

NB: You may find that you need to reboot your device for the setting to take effect, as Android may cache it.

Julie

Julie,
    it helped.

I have not rebooted after changing parameters (I just killed the app to make sure it re-reads params) - so it was first reboot.
    I changed Publish Current Episode to ON (it was OFF when not worked).

Now it is fine (it stops after 2-3 secs of playing - but pause-resume fixes the problem (exactly the same as in another application).
    It also supports variable speed (i tried that - it works as well)

Thank you (and please add that to FAQ - maybe there's someone with similar problem)!