Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Android device disconnects randomly from Chromecast

BeyondPod Team
    Actually, I've seen some random Chromecast disconnects myself on feeds that shouldn't have a problem.

My logs revealed a bug in the handshaking in BeyondPod. Keep an eye out for the next beta version, which will hopefully fix this.

Julie

Hi, I just downloaded the unlock key and am having the same disconnect issue with chromecast. I see most of these posts were from about a year ago... Any resolution?
    I was not having any issues with the podcast during normal streaming playback. And, my other apps are working normally when I cast them. I am also having an intermittent issue where the chromecast option will not be shown when I'm in beyond pod. I can close out of beyond pod and go back in and it will show up. Not sure if that could be related.

In case anyone is googling for a solution to this, I think I've found an answer.

Over the last year or so I've been suffering from my phone regularly becoming disconnected from my Chromecast. This has happened with two different Chromecasts (a 1 and a 2), with two different Android phones from different brands, and with two different routers from different brands.

I've got good Wi-Fi strength where my Chromecast is located (other devices have shown a solid 8Mbps in the same spot) and an even stronger signal where my phone lives. But still the disconnects continued.

I tried every possible router tweak suggestion that I could find on the web. On my phone I've checked countless Android settings, reinstalled various apps and cleared caches for them all. Yet still problems...

So, the answer? Give up on Chromecast. Seriously. It clearly has a fundamental flaw that affects some owners for some unknown reason, but which can't be fixed by the end user. If it could, someone would have posted a cure online somewhere by now. It's just not worth the frustration and the wasted hours trying to resolve a "bad" Chromecast situation.

So get your Chromecast on eBay, get some of your money back, and spend an extra $20 or so to buy something that actually works. I opted for a Roku Streaming Stick, and not only does it work perfectly, all of the time, it actually gives a better user experience than a fully functioning Chromecast, whether using the accompanying remote control or the Roku app on my phone. Win-win.

I'd urge you to do the same. You won't regret it.

A/B Test Conclusive

Hi Friends,

Just to add some information as I too am experiencing this issue. I did an A/B test on this with two versions of Chromecast (original and updated), comparing the consistency of BeyondPod to Podcast Addict using the same podcast episode. That means the same file was being used in all four permutations.

With both versions of Chromecast, Beyondpod disconnected in less than four minutes of playback whereas Podcast Addict, with either version of Chromecast, never once disconnected and successfully played through the end of the 45:00 audio file.

So blaming Chromecast for the issue simply doesn't bear out. This is an issue with Beyondpod. I'm a big fan of the interface and would like to keep using it, but given my reliance on Chromecast to playback episodes over my sound system, it's currently unusable.

I hope to see a fix here soon.

Thanks!
    Kristin

I've been continuing to test issues with CC disconnecting, I find they mainly happen when I'm on weak signal or when my phone goes idle.

As a workaround I'm now casting the entire device through the system toggle, or through the Home app. That way any audio or video on the device gets routed to the CC. I have yet to have a dropped session, and it reacts much faster to play/pause commands.

I may try disabling Doze for BeyondPod, but at this point it's working for me to NOT use the built in ChromeCast button and just cast my entire system.