Thread: Hello Everybody

Hello Everybody

New member here, just defecting from Podkicker due to its recent lack of development and several missing features. As a podcast player is far and away my most used app, I wanted to get the best I could find. Many hours of testing have brought me here and I'm close to achieving all my objectives using Beyondpod.

My intention is that my podcasts playlist will always contain exactly what I want to listen to in the correct order without wasting memory and doing it automatically. Easy to say but this requires a very special player, especially since I'm using more than one device.

So far, I'm almost there.

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Hi and welcome to BeyondPod and the forum.

I'm glad to hear you pretty much have BP working as you want it. My own situation is somewhat similar - I auto download episodes once a day (early in the morning, before I get out of bed), and have a SmartPlay list which I use during my daily commute that has everything queued up in order of my priority preferences (using categories) - generally with the most time-sensitive episodes first. (For me, the discovery of BeyondPod's SmartPlay rules was the final nail in the coffin for DoggCatcher, my own previous podcatcher.)

I also have some podcasts that I categorise as "Sleep" - ones I listen to to help me fall asleep at night. (These are defined - by me - as interesting enough while I'm still awake, but nothing I couldn't bear to miss.) I use the sleep timer to set a length of time to play these, depending on how tired I am, and how long I think it'll take me to fall asleep.

I also have some QuickPlay shortcuts in a folder on my home screen, for podcasts that I listen to in different circumstances (e.g. a radio play that I catch up on once a week during a regular longer trip, or podcasts that my partner and I like to listen to together in the car).

Feel free to ask if you have any questions.

Julie

Thanks Julie for your welcome reply.

You've already given me a couple of great ideas, basically I should re-think my listening habits now that I have a much more powerful player. I fall asleep in seconds so the sleep timer isn't going to help but I wake up early and listen. Snag is I often doze off again so having a list of missable podcasts is a great idea.

I'm definitely going to explore the QuickPlay shortcuts, I didn't know about them.

BeyondPod Team
    QuickPlay shortcuts are currently a bit experimental (and manual to set up), but improvements are in the works.

I have my sleep timer defaults set to 9999, 10, 20 ,30 (i.e. Sleep at end, 10/20/30 minutes). Having Sleep at end as the default/first choice makes it easy to just tap the sleep button to stop playing at the end of an episode (handy in the car, if you've nearly reached your destination, for instance, and don't want to start on something that you'll only hear the first few minutes of).

Julie

P.S. Some of my "Sleep" podcasts also feature near the bottom of my "normal" play list too - just in case I run out of my normal higher priority podcasts.

I'm now in a kind of testing phase with BeyondPod and I'm delighted with my results so far. I also have to listen to a small backlog of podcasts before I'm sure I've got it right between my two devices.

I have two quick questions that may become future suggestions.
    1 Some podcasts have up to 5 minutes preamble that I would like to always automatically cut off for that feed.

2 I need to stop/start, fast forward and backwards using the on/off and volume buttons without taking the phone out of my pocket. I do this using an app called Tactile Player which works quite well but it would be better if that capabilities were integrated in BeyondPod. I doubt this would be possible with Apple products but this would work with Android and I find this to be an essential feature.

BeyondPod Team
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
    I have two quick questions that may become future suggestions.
    1 Some podcasts have up to 5 minutes preamble that I would like to always automatically cut off for that feed.
    It's a feature request that's already on the To Do list (plus trimming playing time off the end of a podcast too).

2 I need to stop/start, fast forward and backwards using the on/off and volume buttons without taking the phone out of my pocket. I do this using an app called Tactile Player which works quite well but it would be better if that capabilities were integrated in BeyondPod. I doubt this would be possible with Apple products but this would work with Android and I find this to be an essential feature.
    As long as the app is simulating Play/Pause, Next, Previous, Long press or Double click button presses (and I can't see how else it could be doing it - but I may be wrong), you can map button presses to actions at Menu | More... | Settings | Player Settings | Headset button actions. To complicate matters, phone / headset / button combinations are a bit of a nightmare, with different manufacturers of both implementing things in a myriad of slightly different ways.

As to making Volume mean something other than volume, it would require adding yet more settings in BP, which is something we're actively trying to avoid unless they impact a high number of people - BP has WAY too many settings already ;-).

That's the general case with feature requests too - we try to focus on those which will impact the largest number of people. Since what you're requesting is already possible using a 3rd party solution, it's fairly unlikely to make it to the list unless there's a huge call for it (and I'm not aware of any other users requesting something similar).

Julie