Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Note 3 with 4.4 Kitkat: could not write on ext SD-Card

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    P.S. Even if you're not (yet) experiencing this issue, we'd still like to get feedback about the beta version from as many people as possible before releasing the update to the market, so if you have an external SD card in your device, we'd love you to try it and let us know how it goes (good or bad).

Having some issues after updating to KitKat. I installed the latest beta. I attempted to download a podcast to the SD card and it didn't work. So I moved to internal memory. Now, I get:

"Reason to fail: Invalid download folder: /storage/emulated/0/BeyondPod/Podcasts/7AM ET News Summary Podcas"

It looks like my folders didn't move quite right from the SD card to the internal memory. Would it break things if I manually move these folders over? I'm not quite sure what else to do.

Long term, I'd definitely prefer to have my podcasts on my SD card but I do have space to have them on my internal memory if necessary. Right now, I'd just like to download my podcasts again.

BeyondPod Team
    Hi

Sorry to hear this hasn't worked for you.

If you don't mind, we'd really like to get to the bottom of what's gone wrong, both for you, and for the benefit of others before we release an updated version of BeyondPod to the market.

The error message suggests that perhaps the folder name has got truncated (I assume it's not MEANT to be "7AM ET News Summary Podcas" without a "t".

To help out, could you let us know:

• When you moved it to internal memory, did you do it using BeyondPod's option to move in the General settings?
    • What paths does it say are available now (in the General Settings)?
    • What paths do you see in Episode Download path and Lock to Current path near the bottom of the Advanced Settings (Menu | More... | Settings | Menu (again) | Advanced Settings)
    • Are your podcasts now actually on your internal storage, or on your card (if you look with a file manager, where do you have BeyondPod folders, and where are the podcasts)?
    • Does the folder 7AM ET News Summary Podcas exist (with or without a trailing "t") on either your internal storage or your SD card?
    • What device do you have?

Thanks
    Julie

P.S. Yes, it would be possible to manually move the folders, but we'd like to know where everything currently is, and the answers to the questions above first.

If I can help others out, great. I can listen to music for a while in the meantime.

It actually looks like the folder name got truncated earlier. The "t" is cut off on the SD card folder and I assume it hasn't changed since it was working.

• I did use the BeyondPod interface described earlier in this thread to move to internal storage.
    • Here's all it says under Podcast Download Folder: /storage/emulated/0/BeyondPod/Podcasts (/storage/extSdCard/Android/data/mobi.beyondpod/files is also available as an alternate location)
    • Episode Download Path: /storage/extSdCard/Android/data/mobi.beyondpod/files (available)
    • Lock to Current Path: Force BeyondPod to always use the current download path: /storage/emulated/0 (checked)
    • I don't see anything in either of the folders referenced above. I do have some text and various other files in /storage/emulated/0/BeyondPod and /storage/emulated/0/BeyondPod/RSSCache
    • I don't see the the 7AM ET News Summary Podcas folder in any location other than the old (and now unusable in KitKat) /storage/extSdCard/BeyondPod folder
    • Samsung Galaxy S4 on AT&T

BeyondPod Team
    Thank you for your help tracking this issue.

It seems like the Podcast download folders did not get copied from the External SD card.

First can you please verify that you are indeed running 3.3.67? After installing it and going to the settings to change the podcast download folder, did it give you an option to move to the Internal or External SD card?

Did the copy process complete correctly (it should have ended with warning saying that files in the old download location are read only and have to be deleted manually)?

Also do you have any sub-folders in /storage/emulated/0/BeyondPod/Podcasts folder or is this folder empty?

Stefan

BeyondPod Team
    Thanks for that.

Could you please check whether you have ANY of your podcast folders on internal storage, or whether it's just the 7am ... one that appears to have gone AWOL. (In other words, did the transfer work partially, or not at all?)

If the other folders do exist on internal storage, and given that the folder name appears to have got truncated at some earlier point (which is presumably a separate issue), can you see whether you can download any podcasts (including old ones you've previously listened to - just as a test) to folders that still appear to have the correct names.

Is the S4 a Google Edition one, or running stock Samsung variant of Android? (I'm guessing the latter, but don't want to assume anything.)

Julie

Stefan and Julie, thank you for the quick replies.

Stefan, I checked About and I am running 3.3.67.When I tapped the download folder setting, it gave me a dialog that said use the move button to move to the alternate location. My only options were move or cancel.

It did warn me that files have to be deleted manually.

The /storage/emulated/0/BeyondPod/Podcasts folder is completely empty. No subfolders.

Julie, no folders. Didn't work at all it appears.

I should have mentioned, this is a stock Samsung version. Not the Google Play version.

BeyondPod Team
    This is very strange, I tested the process with the Google Edition of S4 which may be different than the Samsung version in some way, but even then I can't think of what may be preventing it from working - based on what you posted above the process seem to have completed.

Did you see the actual copy process occurring - where it first tells you what is the size of the files it will copy, asks you to confirm it and then the actual process of copying of those files (a progress bar showing the actual copy operation)?

To recover and get back to where you can download episodes, you should be able to manually copy the "Podcasts" folder (the subfolder of BeyondPod folder) from the External SD card to the Internal and this will bring all episode download folders with it.

Very strange indeed- I will try to find a Samsung device to see If I can replicate this issue.

Stefan

I did not see the copy process as you described. I saw it said it was going to copy 5MB of files and asked me to confirm but nothing after that. No progress bar or anything.

Thank you for the help. I have no doubt Samsung and AT&T added plenty of "features" to the phone but I'm not sure what might be causing this. I copied the Podcasts folder and all seems to be working again. I hope what I could offer will help someone else in the future.

BeyondPod Team
    Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you your help with this. I am glad you got it working again.
    I think we got at least some information to that we can use to research the issue further.

Stefan