Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Beyond pod screwed up settings - again!And this time it was expensive!!

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    4

    Unhappy Beyond pod screwed up settings - again!And this time it was expensive!!

    Couple of weeks ago I raised a forum article about BP not stopping when headphones are disconnected - have tracked that down to an option in the settings for that very feature which somehow became "unticked". I hadn't changed anything, I hadn't accessed the settings in ages as everything was running smoothly and hadn't needed to fiddle with anything in months.

    That was easily fixed and - tho annoying - not that much of a problem. Just frustrating - especially when in the office and it started blaring out loudly through the phones speaker!

    Now - I've discovered other settings have also changed without me touching them - and one of those was the "download only on wifi" option. Didn't spot that had changed - and the outcome is that BP has spent the past two weeks downloading over the mobile connection! My phone is PAYG (I don't use it as a phone enough to make it worth having a contract) and I had 80+ credit two weeks ago, last night I got a message telling me I had no credit left. Checking the data usage shows 95%+ of it was BP - so, because the settings got messed up (again) I'm significantly out of pocket!!

    The solution - I've turned off all mobile data services on the phone (after topping it up) - and I'm back using my old iPod classic again. It's a nuisance having to download and sync every night, but until I can guarantee BP won't start downloading over the mobile connection again it's staying disabled! It also solves the loudspeaker playback issue - it doesn't have a speaker!

    Has anyone else seen this? Or is it just me?? Have been using BP for ages with no problem, and have even paid for it which shows you how much I like the app - it's just that 2 or 3 weeks ago something changed, and it's now cost me a lot of money.

    Cheers.

  2. #2
    BeyondPod Team
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Posts
    4,169
    I'm sorry to hear you've had problems.

    I'm not aware of anybody else who's reported BeyondPod settings getting lost, but it does sound as though you've had some file corruption that has caused some/all of them to be changed / lost / reset to the defaults.

    Unfortunately, there's no way to backtrack to find out when/how this occurred.

    What you CAN do to recover from any situations like this is to periodically use BeyondPod's Backup feature (which also allows you to share the backup via email, Dropbox, etc.) to keep a known good configuration. This won't help to spot unexpected changes, but it will help you to recover to a known good setup.

    Julie

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    4
    Yeah - definitely something wrong somewhere. It hasn't downloaded anything on wifi for a week, and I have to keep data services turned off on my phone as otherwise it constantly tries to connect and download over the mobile connection (pricey!) even when I've got a strong wifi connection. It also sits churning trying to download over mobile all day long (green flashing arrow in the status bar and the message "looking for episodes") which is killing the phones performance. And - if I force kill it to stop the downloading (as that's all it responds to) when I go back in I get a blue box with an error message (something like "line 35 unable to inflate XML" - it disappears too quickly to catch anymore than that) and the attempt to download over mobile kicks off again!

    The outcome - it's deleted. I'll try reinstalling later and see what happens - but for now I'm still on the ipod.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    4
    Yup - definitely something screwy going on.

    Reinstalled the software (3.3.68), set it all up to only use wifi (mobile data turned off) and to automatically download - and exactly the same thing happened. Stuck trying to connect over mobile (even tho it's set to wifi only) and grinding the phone to a halt as it tries over and over to download stuff. Sitting in a strong wifi area, all connected up and everything else connecting okay - but BP just won't download on wifi. Hasn't downloaded anything in over a week - not since it cost me a fortune by downloading over mobile connection despite being set to wifi only!

    Ho hum - deleted again, will not reinstall now until new version, see if it fixes any issues.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •