Thread: BeyondPod cannot download one of my favorite podcasts, ever

Question BeyondPod cannot download one of my favorite podcasts, ever

It's called Florida Matters and its info is here. BeyondPod returns an error for most or all episodes that it attempts to download. I've tried other apps that download it without a problem, but I like BeyondPod better and I want to get this working. Can someone confirm that this podcast will not download, or give me an idea what else to try? Thanks.

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Hi, and welcome to the forum.

From the link you provide, I assume the feed URL you're using is http://www.wusf.usf.edu/podcasts/rad...s/podcast.xml? (Edit the feed - it's the first field you see).

What error do you get in the log when episodes fail to download? You can either tap on the yellowish error bar after a sync to see the log, or use Menu | More... | View Update log.

Which episodes have downloaded OK, and which do you get problems with? And if an episode fails to download the first time, does it always fail (and with the same error) every time you try?

Julie

Yes, that is the URL I'm using. I've double-checked the spelling.

The error is 404 not found. ("WebException - Unable to connect to remote Web Server! Http status code: 404 (Not Found)")

Currently, none of the last 10 episodes will download. I've retried a few times with the same results. I have a vague memory of some episodes successfully downloading when I was a regular BP user months ago.

Thank you for your response.
    Last edited by Universe Man; 03-09-2014 at 02:10 PM.

Firefox shows spaces in the episode URL, but BP's Feed Download Details shows them replaced by plusses.

Spaces cannot be used in URLs; they should be replaced by %20; firefox does this when the URL is copied and pasted.

There appear to be two errors here: the published URL shouldn't contain spaces, and BP shouldn't be replacing them with + (if that isn't just for logging visibility, and even then it's confusing).

The rules are clear. The publisher should correct the URLs.

Standards rants aside (insert Walt Whitman quote here), in the name of reduced support issues like this one, BP should be safe to carefully encode disallowed characters (that is, not % or those in the reserved or unreserved sets) before attempting to fetch.

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    See also this post for more discussion re the parser, and a workaround.

juwlz: The Feedly workaround was promising, but it doesn't appear to work. Same error.

Dennis: Thanks for weighing in. Oddly, this particular radio program appears to be the only one on the station's website that does not provide feed links. (Station-provded feeds for other programs seem to use hyphens in the episode URLs.) Therefore, the only way I can find to try to subscribe is through the link I provided from NPR, so I guess the problem is with NPR's parsing. I've written to the station to ask them to provide links for the program in question, and written to NPR telling them about the error in their parsing.