Thread: Playback starts skipping on samsung device

Playback starts skipping on samsung device

I have used beyondpod for a few years now and never had problems until i switched to tmobile and a samsung galaxy light. Since having done so with startling frequency (about 60% of the time) when i start playing an audio podcast, (which are all i listen to) the playback seems to be stuck skipping through the file at ten to twenty second intervals. I have disabled variable playback speeds and am not hitting the skip button during any point in this process.
    Initially i thought this might be related to some tasker profiles i created after switching to the new device that start beyondpod when i plug in headphones or enter my car, but i received the same results with tasker disabled.
    Any help on this issue would be great as I don't want to pay for another podcasting app especially after i have one that is perfect for me.

I also forgot to mention that pausing playback and then starting it again generally does not resolve the issue, I have to close the app and open another app then close that app then restart playback to resolve the issue.

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    When this happens, do you have headphones (wired or bluetooth) connected to your phone? Does it ever happen without either connected?

Especially if you're using Bluetooth for playback (e.g. in the car), could you try toggling the setting for Publish Current Episode in the Advanced Settings (Menu | More... | Settings | Menu (again) | Advanced Settings) to see whether that makes a difference? On some devices it's better on; on others it's better off.

The symptoms sound as though BeyondPod is receiving a button press (simulated or otherwise) from something, as if you had a sticky FF button on a headset.

If you can reproduce this under controlled circumstances (i.e. not while you're driving!), please would you capture an Android log straight away*. To do this, use Menu | More... | Settings | Menu (again) | View Logs. From there, if you press Menu again, you'll see an option to email the log to support.

Please include in the text of the email a summary of what the issue is and what you did to reproduce it, plus a link to this post and/or your forum name. Otherwise, the log will go into a big black "no idea what this is about" hole

Julie

*All Android applications share the same log, although each can only see its own entries in the log. So it's important to capture the log immediately, to make sure that all the necessary information is there. If you leave it too long, the log entries will get overwritten by other apps' log entries.

This happens when i have either bluetooth connected or when i have my wired headset connected. I will try to capture a log to see whats going on.
    It makes sense that it seems to be stuck fast forwarding, is there anyway to disable fast forwarding as i never use it anyway?

Also i should mention that i have it set to not accept headset commands or button presses. So technically that shouldn't be an issue.

BeyondPod Team
    Odd. But it's presumably getting the "button press" from somewhere! Let's see if the log is at all illuminating.

Sadly, i can't for the life of me figure out how to get to the logs with samsung's ui. I will have to work on this without it. All that i can say is the last time that it happened i hit the in app play button, so i don't think that it's a button problem. Thanks for all the help and keep up the good work.

BeyondPod Team
    Quote Originally Posted by jpavlovich View Post
    Sadly, i can't for the life of me figure out how to get to the logs with samsung's ui.
    You do it from within BeyondPod, as described above
    To do this, use Menu | More... | Settings | Menu (again) | View Logs. From there, if you press Menu again, you'll see an option to email the log to support.
    On Samsung devices, Menu is the capacitive button to the left of the centre button.

Julie
    Last edited by juwlz; 04-02-2014 at 05:09 AM.