Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Audio is sometimes cutting out during playback

Audio is sometimes cutting out during playback

(Apologies if this is a duplicate bug report but I searched various relevant terms and came up empty...)

I've been a happy BeyondPod user for a few years now but a recent problem (started about a month ago) has been driving me nuts. During playback of a downloaded podcast, the audio will suddenly cut out, but the player is not paused. Pausing and unpausing doesn't restore the sound, but skipping forward or backward does. It can go days without an incident and then several times within a few minutes. There isn't an obvious pattern to when it happens - no particular feed or other programs running. It's happening on downloaded episodes; I very rarely stream.

My phone is a Samsung Galaxy Relay (SGH-T699) with Android 4.0.4. In the time since I first noticed it happening I've done a factory reset and the issue still occurs.

Fortunately I don't drive so nothing dangerous will happen if I pull the phone out frequently to manage the problem but it's verrrrrry annoying.

Thanks!

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Hi and welcome to the forum. Apologies for the delay in replying.

• Am I right in guessing that you're playing back via headphones? Wired or Bluetooth? What headphones are they? Is it possible that there's a sticky button on them?
    • Do you get the same problem if you use Google Music (which uses the same built-in Android player as BeyondPod)?
    • Do you have speed adjustment enabled? (NB: This is potentially relevant regardless of the speed you're actually playing at - simply having it enabled changes the way the player works.)
      Speed adjustment is only available in the paid version, but if you are using this, try disabling speed adjustment if it's enabled, or enabling it if it's disabled and see whether makes a difference.

If nothing else reveals any clues, we'll need to get an Android log immediately after the problem occurs, to find what triggered the silence.

Julie

Hi Julie.

* The problem has occurred both with headphones plugged in and just playing through the device's built-in speaker.
    * I've toggled speed adjustment back and forth and the problem has occurred on both settings.
    * I haven't noticed the problem while using Google Play but I use it a tiny fraction of the amount I use BeyondPod.

I looked through the logs just now after it occurred again and didn't see anything close to the right timestamp. However, I noticed there's an update in progress that seems to be stuck trying to connect to the hosts of certain feeds - I have it set to refresh the feeds on the hour and the current update has been going for more than 10 minutes which is not usual. Could the update problems interrupt the audio playback? I don't recall whether this has been the case during other instances of the audio failing, I didn't look for it specifically.

Thanks!

I also have this problem, using headphones. randomly during podcasts it fades out and doesnt return and rewinds from where i am in my cast... i currently have the Samsung Galaxy S5 SM-G900F.

Thanks

I'm having the same issue. Seems to have started around the time I received Kitkat update. About 2-3 weeks ago?

I listen to BP via the phone's speakers. The playback pauses, then regains on it's own. Sometimes it stops once, then starts and plays for minutes without a problem. Sometimes it stops/starts, stop/starts, stops/starts.

Downloaded podcasts on the device's storage, not on sd card.
    I turned off Pause on Notification, didn't help.
    Don't have bluetooth turned on.
    Wifi on or off doesn't help.

Stock Sprint Galaxy Note 2
    BP 3.3.68
    Android 4.4.2

Please help, I'm going crazy with the pausing, stopping, starting, etc.

With my previous phone, this only happened when it was a few hours from spontaneously rebooting, so I got into the habit of rebooting when it started acting up, rather than put up with it for very long.

Generally, the memory filled up (the CPU's main memory as shown in the App Manager/Running/Show Cached); since the system's part of that memory kept inching up (that portion not part of any app), the conclusion is that there was a memory leak somewhere inside Android.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 running Android 4.4. It happens to me a lot and I'm frustrated enough to start looking for another player if I can't get it fixed. It happens even after a reboot and it never happens when I use my MP3 player, Spotify or YouTube. Help!

I too am at the point of looking for another podcast catcher. It's embarrassing when I tried to have a group of friends listen to a couple of minutes of a podcast and it kept stopping and starting.

ps, It does seem to happen more often as I get farther away from my router. If I turn off Wifi, it does seem to help. I'm always working at the time, so I don't pay close attention.
    Last edited by wekebu; 07-21-2014 at 11:27 AM.

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    To be able to fix this, we need to know WHY it's happening. To help with that, would anybody who is getting this issue please capture an Android log immediately when it happens.

To do that, in BeyondPod use Menu | More... | Settings | Menu (again) | View Logs and choose Android log. From there you can use the Menu button to email the log to support.
    Please include in your log a link to this thread, and your forum ID.

Thanks
    Julie

I have an iPhone and when I play music, there are instances where the volume's lowered for a few seconds and it goes back to normal again. It occurs in random times. I had it checked and so far I haven't encountered it again.