Thread: Playlist filtered by categories

Playlist filtered by categories

If you don't want to add the ability of managing different playlists, I propose a different technique: having a single playlist (as currently) BUT add the possibility of filtering by CATEGORIES. Think about it, it's really powerful. The problem of current Smart Playlist is that you lose the previous list, so for me it is not useful.

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    We already have multiple SmartPlay list functionality in the current beta test version of BP 4.

In the meantime, you can get simplified multiple play lists in the current market version of BP 3 by using Quick Play shortcuts (which can be specified by feed, category, etc.) The UI to create the shortcut isn't elegant, and BP 4 will improve on this, but it's achievable.

Julie
    Last edited by juwlz; 06-18-2014 at 08:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by juwlz View Post
    We already have multiple SmartPlay list functionality in the current beta test version of BP 4.

In the meantime, you can get simplified multiple play lists in the current market version of BP 3 by using Quick Play shortcuts (which can be specified by feed, category, etc.) The UI to create the shortcut isn't elegant, and BP 4 will improve on this, but it's achievable.

Julie
    The problem is that SmartPlay is not useful for me. I explain. I usually hear a radio program that is 3 hours long every day. The program is not uploaded in 1 file to their podcast server, but the program is splitted in 3 parts, being recognizable by the time (22:00, 23:00 and 00:00). You can check it here: http://www.radioasturias.com/rss_aud...e+pierdas+nada

I download the chapters every day, but I create manually the 'single' playlist ordering them from NEWER DAY to LATEST day. This is because I usually have no time to complete the 3 hours for each program, but I give preference to LATEST day, so every day I download the corresponding 3 chapters and put manually in the top of the playlist, ordered by TIME (22:00, then 23:00, then 00:00)

I cannot do this with SmartPlay, so BeyondPod is becoming worse comparing with the rest of podcast managers/players, as they are including "user playlists"

So... I had the idea I told you 2 days ago, and I proposed it because I think it is very simple to add to BP and it would give a big boost.

Regards,
    Antonio

BeyondPod Team
    Antonio,

I have a similar case with one of my podcasts, and the way I solved it is to keep only the episodes from the last day (e.g. delete the episodes from the previous day). In your case, you can set the cleanup rules for the feed to keep only the last 3 episodes, so each day the 3 episodes for the day will replace the ones for the previous day. Then you can add a SmartPlay rule to play oldest for that feed - this will generate a playlist that will have only the last episodes in order 22:00, 23:00, 00:00).
    If I need an episode from a previous day I just re-download it again.

Can you explain a bit more about your idea for the Category filter for the playlist - how do you envision it to work to solve the problem you are having. Do you simply want to show only feeds from a given category and hide the rest (but still keep them in the playlist)?

BeyondPod Team
    Quote Originally Posted by antomonte View Post
    The problem is that SmartPlay is not useful for me. I explain. I usually hear a radio program that is 3 hours long every day. The program is not uploaded in 1 file to their podcast server, but the program is splitted in 3 parts, being recognizable by the time (22:00, 23:00 and 00:00). You can check it here: http://www.radioasturias.com/rss_aud...e+pierdas+nada

I download the chapters every day, but I create manually the 'single' playlist ordering them from NEWER DAY to LATEST day. This is because I usually have no time to complete the 3 hours for each program, but I give preference to LATEST day, so every day I download the corresponding 3 chapters and put manually in the top of the playlist, ordered by TIME (22:00, then 23:00, then 00:00)

I cannot do this with SmartPlay
    You can do it with Automatic Playlist though (enable it in Menu | More... | Settings | Playlist Settings) and then if you view the episodes for that feed sorted chronologically, you can simply play the 22:00 episode, and the other two will follow. If you finish listening to all three parts, you can then choose to play whatever episodes you have configured in your SmartPlay list, if you have one, or choose something else (such as a Category, with episodes sorted in whatever order you choose), or older episodes from the same feed to AutoPlay.

Julie
    Last edited by juwlz; 06-18-2014 at 10:37 AM.

BeyondPod Team
    Actually, I think we may be at cross purposes over terminology here.

A SmartPlay list is a set of rules (Play <n> episodes from Category A sorted by some criteria, then <m> episodes from Category B sorted by something else, then <l> episodes from Feed X sorted by ..., etc.). If you're manually creating a playlist each day, then it's not a SmartPlay list.

In My Episodes view (middle tab), you can view a Feed, a Category or All episodes, sorted in a number of different ways. In any view, if you have AutoPlay enabled, then when you start playing any episode, the rest of the episodes that you can see, in whichever view you are using, will be added to your playlist in the order that you see them. In other words, you CAN filter by category, and automatically play the episodes that you can see in that filter, starting at any point within the list of episodes you can see.

Julie
    Last edited by juwlz; 06-18-2014 at 09:49 AM.