Thread: 4.0.16 requires uninstall of 4.0.15 on tablet

4.0.16 requires uninstall of 4.0.15 on tablet

I have a Nexus 7 and a Samsung phone; the Nexus is running Android 4.4.3, stock, unrooted.

4.0.16 installed just fine on my phone.

When I attempt to install BP 4.0.16 on the tablet, it shows me all of the permissions, but then the installation fails with no helpful information at all. I *think* that it doesn't recognize that this is a replacement app, since it shows me *all* of the permissions and doesn't warn me that this is replacing an existing app.

I have been installing the "tablet" version of BP Evo on the tablet right along, for the debugging perspective if nothing else. I see your uninstall/reinstall note on the beta page, so I'll do that next. I read the note as implying that uninstall is only needed if this was your first Evo install on a tablet.

Yep, I made a backup, uninstalled, installed the new apk, and I didn't have to manually restore the backup; it didn't offer, but everything was already in place.

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    You should only need to backup etc. if you're switching from the tablet version to the universal version - or vice-versa.

It doesn't matter whether the tablet versions you're starting with is BP 3.x or BP 4.x. Having said that, if you install the "other" one, you should just end up with 2 apps. There's no (known) reason why the installation would hang.

Did you try cancelling, and trying again? It may just have been some sort of weird corruption in the download - although it seems odd that it would get enough to try the installation, and then get confused.

Julie

I didn't try cancelling. I did download again, the new copy failed the same way but successfully installed after the uninstall.

Has anybody else installed 4.0.16 over the "tablet" version of Evo?

BeyondPod Team
    Because both Phone and Tablet variants of Evo (4.0) are in essence internally identical (they only differ superficially) you can NOT have both versions of Evo installed at the same time - if you have one installed the other will fail to install until you uninstall the first one (exactly what happened to Dennis).

Android release engineering question here: what are the properties of an apk that make this happen? Is there a webpage somewhere that details this?

I'm interested in the sort of thing that requires replacing the widgets, etc.

Thanks!

BeyondPod Team
    This is the "package name" that is specified in the manifest - http://developer.android.com/guide/t...t.html#package

Historically the phone version had the package "mobi.beyondpod" while the tablet was "mobi.beyondpod.hd"
    The universal version will continue to use "mobi.beyondpod". "mobi.beyondpod.hd" will be deprecated and eventually unpublished.

When you install any app, if there is already an app with the same package name signed with the same key, Android will do an upgrade "in place" (all app data is preserved).

Exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks!