Thread: Went back to v3.x

Thumbs up Went back to v3.x

Loaded v4 and liked the new interface. The old one worked fine, except v4 is prettier. That's the only good news.

The bad -

No more playing speed feature even though listed in menu. Either that or it's well hidden.
    No ability to sort the would be "SmartPlay" by podcast length. The downloaded list can be sorted that way. There is a workaround, but it's REALLY crude and still needs manual work after listings.
    No progress bar
    Hard to read podcast length, as its tiny and grey. It would be nice to have it as white on back, and resizable.

On balance, It's a no go. I hope that they fix the problems and the missing features.

Progress bar and speed control are on the player screen. I'm thinking you never got past the mini-player? Tap it to go to full screen player.

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Quote Originally Posted by alevene View Post
    No more playing speed feature even though listed in menu. Either that or it's well hidden.
    There are now 2 charms on the full screen player which can be used to set a sleep timer and change the playing speed

Charms for sleep and speed.jpg

No ability to sort the would be "SmartPlay" by podcast length. The downloaded list can be sorted that way. There is a workaround, but it's REALLY crude and still needs manual work after listings.
    I'm not really sure what you mean by this. You can still sort the episodes list in the same ways that you can on 3.0, and (so far) the available SmartPlay rules haven't changed - and didn't include sorting by podcast length in 3.0. However, there are plans to add more types of rules in 4.x.

No progress bar
    You can see the progress bar in the screenshot above.

Hard to read podcast length, as its tiny and grey. It would be nice to have it as white on back, and resizable.
    Point taken.

It does not have the SmartPlay sorting capabilities that the episodes list has and is the single most missing feature in the product. The SmartPlay sorting system by adding lots of feed categories is crude and best, and still needs manual work to rearrange the alleged SmartPlay. It's a cosmetic update, and not a 4.x release... maybe 3.5.

If features are well hidden, then they aren't useful. I'm sure that the podcast length and progress bar EVERYWHERE and on every screen are fundamental features to avoid the competition moving too far ahead.

Finally, it would be nice if speed changes could be modified when listening to different podcasts. Some need to be at 1x and some at 1.5. It's hard to tell until listening.

You're getting there... very slowly.

I joined this forum to ask the same thing about playback speed. I tried to touch every charm or zone that I could find to discover this feature, including the bell-like one, but I got fed up with hunting for something so unintuitive. I see, now, that I must have been touching in not quite the right location, but that is telling, that it is not at all obvious how to do this. The slider is a great improvement, though I also like the idea of being able to long-tap the play button to get to a set playback speed, or a separate button like with the old interface. Since there is so much real estate available, I'd also like to have a way of having a slider up there full time, because it's something that needs tweaking often enough that the two-step solution gets old, or at least an optional second button. As such, I'd also like to request access to playback speed on the widget that can be placed on the lock-screen, and on the alert bar.

Seconding the per-podcast playback speed default, as it's a feature that I would use regularly.

I like the new look otherwise, even though there are things about old and clunky that I find more intuitive.

BeyondPod Team
    centrus,

Thank you for the feedback. This is the whole reason we run our BETA - to find what is not intuitive and fix it before the release. We will update the player over the next several betas based on all the feedback we collect.

You can long press on the playback speed charm to switch between 2 predefined speeds. You can also set playback speed per feed - Long press on the feed in the left drawer > Edit Feed > Advanced Settings > Preferred Playback speed. (This is exactly the same place as in 3.x nothing there has changed).

Aha! I have never noticed that before, and I usually peruse the menu options for this kind of thing. So that's a nice tip, and I'm glad to see it spelled out so plainly. Thanks!