Thread: (Re)Start Smart Playlist

(Re)Start Smart Playlist

I can't figure out how to restart a smart playlist from within the player itself--was very simple in 3.x through the off-screen menu in player view. Right now the only way I can do this is by going back to my screen and use the off-screen menu from the expanded BP widget. Surely there should be an easier way?

Love the new design otherwise

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    I'm not quite sure what you mean by "restart a SmartPlay list", but you can drag the playlist drawer from the right of the screen (or hit the icon with lines and the number of eipsodes in your playlist to open the drawer) and pick a SmartPlay list to play from there.

HTH
    Julie

Juwlz, I'm not particularly sure what Saxphile is describing, however, what I'm having a problem with when it comes to Smartplay is that I'm no longer sure of how to add items to the Smartplay Playlist. In older version, I would just select the "update all feeds" option from the menu within Smartplay and it would just add the latest available podcast episodes as needed. Now whenever I select this same option, nothing is being added to my Smartplay playlist even though there are episodes available. By the way, I use beyondpod of both, an android phone(audio podcasts) and tablet(video podcasts). The problem is happening only on the tablet(video podcasts) even though I believe I have the same settings on both devices. The only way that I can add items to Smartplay is by first, selecting the "What To Play" option and then the "Add To My Episodes". After selecting the items, I get them to the Smartplay que by clicking on "Smartplay" from the right menu. Is this the way it's supposed to work in this new version? Hope this explanation isn't confusing.

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    @woodsb123
    Let's clarify terminology first.

A Playlist is a list of things queued to be played, and can be created in a number of ways (by manually adding episodes to it, by using AutoPlay to play all the episodes you can see in the Episodes View when you hit play on the first one, SmartPlay rules, etc.)

A SmartPlay list is a playlist that's generated according to a set of rules that you define (e.g. Play 2 episodes from category X, then 3 episodes from Feed Y, etc.). You can select a SmartPlay list from the dropdown in the Playlist drawer, start the default SmartPlay list from the widget, or create a shortcut for it on your home screen.

Multiple SmartPlay lists (sets of rules) have been introduced in BP 4. Earlier versions of BP had a bug whereby scheduled (or manual, I think) updates would have updated the episodes in your current smartplay list, rather than the default one. Having said that, when you select a SmartPlay list from the dropdown arrow in the player, the list you selected should get updated on the fly (in the sense that when you select it, the playlist gets regenerated according to what episodes you currently have that match the rules for that SmartPlay).

I suspect that the "What to Play" section of your description may be superfluous, and it's simply tapping the SmartPlay list in the Playlist drawer that's having an effect, since you're not actually asking BP to put the episodes in What to Play on your Playlist.

If you're currently running 4.0.17, and still getting the same problem, then please let us know, and we can try to get to the bottom of what's really happening.

Julie