Thread: 4.0.16 not deleting??

4.0.16 not deleting??

I just moved BP 4.0.16 to a new phone (Samsung Galaxy S 4 Mini, Android 4.4.2), and BP doesn't seem to be able to delete podcasts. This is internal storage (there's no card inserted), General Settings/..Folder is grayed out, Advanced/Download Path is blank, lock to path is unchecked. After Playing is "delete and play next". It doesn't matter whether I tap the loopy "skip to end" button or let an episode play to the end, play goes to the next episode.

However, the playlist still has all of the played episodes in it, with the red progress bar completely filled in. When I select an episode (from feed, category, or playlist) singly and tap Menu/Delete from my Episodes or long-press and tap the trashcan, I get the confirmation, but the episodes don't go away. They are still displayed, the mp3 files are still in place (/storage/emulated/0/BeyondPod/Podcasts/...

I can download new episodes.

/storage/emulate/legacy and /storage/emulated/0 are both sdcardfs mounts of /data/media, uid and gid=1023.

If I restart SmartPlay, it doesn't include the played episodes.

The BP log shows nothing since the last update; I don't see the "marked PLAYED" and network connectivity notices I'm used to seeing.

Have I stumbled into the KitKat SD card mess others are seeing? I'll poke around those threads and see if anything helps.
    Last edited by Dennis Rockwell; 07-01-2014 at 07:29 AM. Reason: Added General/Folder info

BeyondPod Team
    This is strange. If the episode (file) is not deleted then for some reason the "delete file" operation on the file system is failing. The fact that you can download, means that you can write to the (internal) SD card, but for some reason the delete file operation is failing. One way to see what may be going on is to try a delete, then immediately look at the Android log (BeyondPod's Settings > Menu > View Logs > View Android Log). Hopefully there will be an error message that tells us what is failing.

Sorry to be a poor debugger, but I wanted to get on with stuff, so I backed up my settings, uninstalled BP, re-installed, and all looks OK now; I can delete things with no trouble.

BeyondPod Team
    Not a problem - actually what you did was a good test. My suspicion was that somehow the app permissions got screwed up during install.

When you install an app, Android internally creates a separate (app specific) Linux user account for the app and gives it permissions to various resources. The app process then runs under that account.

I have seen several cases, where those permissions seem to not propagate for some reason - resulting in very wired behavior (...like what you had). The fact the install/re-install fixed it gives more credibility to that theory.
    (In some cases instead or install/re-install, a device reboot also did the trick).

Stefan

I neglected to check on the permissions before, but the permissions now are 770/root/sdcard_r throughout.