Thread: KitKat update and downloading to current folder

KitKat update and downloading to current folder

"Due to external storage card restrictions introduced in Android KitKat, BP can no longer write to your current download folder." Rrr! Is there a way to still download to my ext SD card or am I being forced to download only to my phone's storage?

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Hi and welcome to the forum.

Here's the help page and information you need: My External SD card has become Read Only after updating to KitKat. What can I do?

(And here's some background reading about what REALLY happened with external storage under KitKat: KitKat and removable SD cards)

HTH
    Julie

Thank you for your help, info, and fast response, Julie!

I'm pretty darn technologically impaired, so I'm trying to find an easy fix that I can understand.

Could you tell me, if I delete and reinstall the Beyondpod app, will it create the "application specific folder" needed to save to my external SD card? If that won't do it, would you know if there are step by step instructions on the web to show me how to create this folder?

FYI, I understand that I could lose my saved podcasts and will definitely lose saved podcasts if I continue to use my SD card and delete the BP app later, which is fine.

Thank you, again!!

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Mom View Post
    Could you tell me, if I delete and reinstall the Beyondpod app, will it create the "application specific folder" needed to save to my external SD card? If that won't do it, would you know if there are step by step instructions on the web to show me how to create this folder?
    You don't need to do any of that. Just follow the instructions in the link I posted, and tell BeyondPod to move the folder. It will create the application specific folder for you.

FYI, I understand that I could lose my saved podcasts and will definitely lose saved podcasts if I continue to use my SD card and delete the BP app later, which is fine.
    You will only lose those if you uninstall the app without saving the contents of the folder first. You can always read from the folder using any app. The restriction - if the card is in an Android device - is that you can't WRITE to any folder you like. However, there's nothing to stop you copying the entire folder to a USB stick with USB On The Go, or putting the card in a PC (or connecting the phone to a PC using a USB cable), and using that to copy the config and data files somewhere else if you want to. The assumption is that if you don't want the app any more, why would you want to waste space saving its data?

HTH
    Julie