Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exit BeyondPod

Exclamation Exit BeyondPod

Need menu item to Exit BeyondPod 4.
    In 4.0.16 I apparently must manually X the notification, unintuitive extra steps.
    When I Back out of BeyondPod, I want it to go away completely.
    Last edited by JNavas; 07-06-2014 at 09:48 AM.
    Hope that helps,
    John
    [Nexus 5 running Lollipop 5.1 on T-Mobile USA]

Why? BeyondPod is a lightweight application and Android automatically closes applications

Quote Originally Posted by PatrikSelin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JNavas View Post
    Need menu item to Exit BeyondPod.
    In 4.0.16 I apparently must X the notification, unintuitive extra steps.
    When I close BeyondPod, I want it to go away completely.
    Why? BeyondPod is a lightweight application and Android automatically closes applications
    1. I often don't want BP to start Bluetooth play automatically when I get in my car.
    2. BP isn't lightweight, over 50 MB as i write this.
    3. Phone lag can result when Android is forced to close apps.
    4. I don't want BP taking up Notification space unnecessarily.
    5. Exit existed in prior versions of BP.
    6. Current BP behavior is inconsistent with Android Design.

If I launch Play Music (PM), gold standard of Android Design, it does not immediately put up a Notification. PM Notification only appears when (a) playing has been started and (b) PM is in the background. BP should behave the same way. Instead, BP immediately puts up a Notification when started, which persists after Back out of BP.

FWIW, the issue is sufficiently annoying to me that I may go back to BP 3 unless and until it's addressed.
    Last edited by JNavas; 07-06-2014 at 09:56 AM.
    Hope that helps,
    John

Totally agree

I completely agree. Not having a quit app function goes against Android guidelines and is just plain wrong. This is a poor choice guys and one that will come back to bite you.

1. I often don't want BP to start Bluetooth play automatically when I get in my car.
    2. BP isn't lightweight, over 50 MB as i write this.
    3. Phone lag can result when Android is forced to close apps.
    4. I don't want BP taking up Notification space unnecessarily.
    5. Exit existed in prior versions of BP.
    6. Current BP behavior is inconsistent with Android Design.

If I launch Play Music (PM), gold standard of Android Design, it does not immediately put up a Notification. PM Notification only appears when (a) playing has been started and (b) PM is in the background. BP should behave the same way. Instead, BP immediately puts up a Notification when started, which persists after Back out of BP.

FWIW, the issue is sufficiently annoying to me that I may go back to BP 3 unless and until it's addressed.

I don't feel strongly enough about it to give up what is becoming an improvement over BP3, but I believe there should be a toggle in "Settings" to have BP4 show up in Notifications - or not.

Quote Originally Posted by wperkins48 View Post
    I don't feel strongly enough about it to give up what is becoming an improvement over BP3, but I believe there should be a toggle in "Settings" to have BP4 show up in Notifications - or not.
    BP4 may become better than prior versions of BP at some point, but I think it still has a long way to go:
    1. Notifications violate Android guidelines.
    2. Expandable items all too often makes My Feeds clumsy, like having to endlessly scroll to get to Settings.
    3. Tabs could improve navigation, as in Play Music, the Android gold standard that BP4 should emulate.
    4. Episode blocks waste considerable space, making it harder to navigate feeds.
    5. Image display in the player is poor.
    6. Lack of a good way to shut it down.
    Hope that helps,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by artdog View Post
    I completely agree. Not having a quit app function goes against Android guidelines and is just plain wrong. This is a poor choice guys and one that will come back to bite you.
    What guideline would that be? In Android apps should be have as if they are running all the time even if they don't. Exception is background things like media playback or map navigation and even then there should not be a quit or exit option. Instead there should be a way to pause or stop navigating.

I do agree that having an ongoing notification all the time isn't very nice. But an exit button isn't the answer imo.

In Android the last active, that last played something or is the foreground app, media player should get media key events if all apps behave as they should. As usual in Android plenty of apps like Spotify don't behave correctly leading to unexpected behavior.

This design unfortunately doesn't fit very well with annoying Bluetooth implementations in cars that send a play command when a device connects instead of letting the user decide. Drives me nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by appel View Post
    In Android the last active, that last played something or is the foreground app, media player should get media key events if all apps behave as they should. As usual in Android plenty of apps like Spotify don't behave correctly leading to unexpected behavior.
    This design unfortunately doesn't fit very well with annoying Bluetooth implementations in cars that send a play command when a device connects instead of letting the user decide. Drives me nuts.
    I work around the problem with CarHome Ultra, configured to turn on Bluetooth when it starts, off when it exits. I otherwise leave Bluetooth turned off. That way when I start my car, there is no Bluetooth connection unless and until I start CarHome Ultra, which has many other benefits as well, highly recommended.
    Hope that helps,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by appel View Post
    What guideline would that be? In Android apps should be have as if they are running all the time even if they don't. Exception is background things like media playback or map navigation and even then there should not be a quit or exit option. Instead there should be a way to pause or stop navigating.

I do agree that having an ongoing notification all the time isn't very nice. But an exit button isn't the answer imo.
    There are cases where having an exit function actually makes sense, as in the case of CarHome Ultra, as described in my reply above. Without an Exit, there would have to be some sort of mode toggle, which would be an unintuitive kludge.

There is a way to partially (but only partially) fix the non-standard notification issue in BPE: Settings > About BeyondPod > menu > Advanced Settings > Advanced Settings > UNcheck "Keep 'Paused' Notification. [whew!] But even with that option unchecked, BeyondPod displays a Play notification when playing in the foreground, which it should not do. (Google Navigation does this too, but that does not make it right. Play Music has correct behavior.)

Please fix the non-standard notification behavior.
    Hope that helps,
    John