Thread: New speed selector (4.0.17)

New speed selector (4.0.17)

I just wanted to say, I love the new speed selector. Wonderful design, exactly what I'm looking for. I change the speed fairly frequently, actually - I find that the speed I can listen at depends a lot on the noise in the environment, so I usually listen at 3x speed if I have my headphones in, but if I'm listening to something while I'm in the shower or something, and piping the sound through a bluetooth speaker, I need to drop it down to around 2x. I also have some per-feed definitions for feeds I know tend to have a lot of noise (usually when it's a show where a guest calls in over Skype or a phone line or something), while the others are floating.

The only problem I have with the speed selection - and I'm not sure that there's a great solution to this one - is that occasionally I'll want to change the global speed while listening to a feed with a preset speed. For example, I'll switch into 2x mode before I get into the shower, then an episode with a per-feed rule of 2x speed comes on, and I'm halfway through that episode when it's time for me to get on my motorcycle and drive to work. I can't mess around with the speed of the feeds while driving a motorcycle, so now I'm in a pinch because if I leave it as-is, when this episode is done I'm stuck at 2x speed for the rest of my commute, but if I change it now, I have to listen to the episode I'm on now at an uncomfortable speed. Usually I solve this by just jumping to another episode, changing the speed, then jumping back. This isn't ideal, because then when I finally get to that other episode, it ends up starting like 30-40 seconds into the episode and I lose a bit of the context. Plus this interrupts what I was listening to while doing all this.

Anyway, this is not a huge problem, I just thought I'd throw it out there since I'm talking about the awesome new speed selector anyway, and I figure it's good to let you know how people use BP.

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Thanks for the feedback.

Request noted, but whether or not it gets implemented (as with all requests) will depend on how many users will benefit from it. One issue for this particular request is how would the UI look? I think it's a bit of a difficult concept to say "adjust the speed, but only under a certain combination of circumstances".

Julie

Quote Originally Posted by juwlz View Post
    Thanks for the feedback.

Request noted, but whether or not it gets implemented (as with all requests) will depend on how many users will benefit from it. One issue for this particular request is how would the UI look? I think it's a bit of a difficult concept to say "adjust the speed, but only under a certain combination of circumstances".

Julie
    Just to clarify, it's not a request so much as just a bit of information about one mildly frustrating thing. I'll still love BeyondPod even if it never gets fixed.

As for how to implement it, I'm really hard pressed to come up with good names for the different ways you'd want to modify the state of the speed (which is why I figured it's not necessarily a problem with a clean solution). The three states would be, "This episode and all other episodes" (Global), "This episode only" (Local) and "Default speed, but not this episode" (Baseline). Presumably you could implement it with a little three-way toggle switch, where the default is, as it is now, "Global", and you can cycle through the three states to set the speeds as desired.

Potentially if people found it confusing, you could do it where it's somewhat hidden (the toggle only shows up if you long-press the speed selector mode), so that you'd only see it if you went looking for it.

Again, I'm just throwing out some ideas in case you guys are playing around with the speed selector some more and you see a good solution. It's a little frustrating, but only intermittently, and I have a workaround for it, so it's not a big deal if no good solution is ever found.