Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4.0.19 Feedback

4.0.19 Feedback

Wanted to take a second to leave some POSITIVE feedback - I love the latest BETA update (8/11/14).

- Changes to car mode are perfect - making navigation a little bigger is all that really needs
    - Background image being the podcast image was something I was hoping was coming
    - New icon is much more modern looking

I figure you guys get enough complaints, wanted to leave something on the other side for a job well done.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBobmanNH View Post
    - New icon is much more modern looking
    I wasn't terribly thrilled with the old icon, but the new icon is worse in my opinion: more art deco than modern, bland, undistinguished, meaningless, too small, and otherwise contrary to Android Design guidelines. As pretty much any UI expert will tell you, a stylized letter alone does not a good icon make. Compare major Google app icons.
    Last edited by JNavas; 08-11-2014 at 05:39 PM.
    Hope that helps,
    John
    [Nexus 5 running Lollipop 5.1 on T-Mobile USA]

Quote Originally Posted by JNavas View Post
    I wasn't terribly thrilled with the old icon, but the new icon is WORSE in my opinion: bland, undistinguished, meaningless, and too small. As pretty much any UI expert will tell you, a stylized letter does not a good icon make. Compare any of the major Google app icons.
    At the risk of being hugely snarky here....

You mean, Gmail, which is a stylized M? Or Google Search, which is just a G? Maybe GOogle+... nope, also a G, with a plus sign.

Well, maybe we should look at some of the other popular apps in the Play Store. Facebook... aw crap. Pinterest? Hmm. Words With Friends?! Pandora?!

(I obviously cherry-picked these to make a point, but I think the icon is fine)

Are you a UI expert?
    Google g is synonymous with search.
    Gmail is an envelope.
    Maps is a map.
    Calendar is a calendar.
    Keep is a sticky pad.
    Play Music is headphones.
    Play Books is a book.
    Play Movies is a piece of film.
    Play Store is a shopping bag.
    Clock is a clock.
    Hangouts is a speech bubble.
    Gallery is a framed photo.
    Earth is a globe.
    YouTube is video play.
    Need I go on?
    Example of a good podcatcher icon:
    podcast-icon~01.jpg
    Last edited by JNavas; 08-11-2014 at 04:20 PM.
    Hope that helps,
    John

Sigh. OK, don't get all butthurt, pal, it's just feedback. I don't need to be an expert, or a dick, to express an opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBobmanNH View Post
    Sigh. OK, don't get all butthurt, pal, it's just feedback. I don't need to be an expert, or a dick, to express an opinion.
    I did not attack your opinion.
    I just expressed my own opinion.
    You attacked my opinion.
    And added a nasty personal follow-up.
    What does that make you?
    Last edited by JNavas; 08-11-2014 at 04:29 PM.
    Hope that helps,
    John

I have no idea why this thread turned so contentious. I felt your initial responses were adversarial and responded in kind, which was silly, and if I misread I apologize.

I disagree with your assessment of icons however. Google apps are for the most part "stock" apps and their icon should directly reflect their functionality since a user comes into them blind. A branded icon needs only to be memorable / distinctive and reflect the brand. There are countless examples of some of the most popular apps on the market where their icon reflects nothing about functionality, only about brand, as mentioned above. If every app maker just had a horrifically boring icon like headphones around the RSS symbol, they'd be indistinguishable (and ugly, in the case of this example). That icon is fine if you're designing something for some awful carrier skin like SEnse or Touchwiz but no one's going into a marketing meeting with that idea and keeping their job.

1. Branding of icons only works when a recognizable brand icon has been established. Apple is a good example. BP is not.
    2. Many of the Google apps did not start off as "stock" apps.
    3. The logic that applies to Google apps also applies to other apps. For good UX, icons should be instantly recognizable. BP is not.
    4. There are of course both good and bad app icons. The objective is to be good, not as bad as some of the other ones.
    5. We'll just have to agree to disagree about my example of a good podcatcher icon.
    6. There are other important issues with the new BP icon, as noted in my first response.

Comments:

1. It is never my intention or practice to be adversarial.
    2. I wrote "in my opinion" to try to make it clear that I'm only expressing my opinion.
    3. I don't think much (if anything) is gained by simply saying "good" or "bad", so I try to be specific in both praise and (constructive) criticism. To be clear, that's criticism of the icon, not of you (and not of the creator of the icon).
    4. If you don't want to be contentious, then you should avoid pejoratives like "horrifically boring", "ugly", and "dick", gratuitous comments about losing jobs, and replies that start "At the risk of being hugely snarky here...."
    5. Thank you for the apology. I likewise apologize for any offense.
    Last edited by JNavas; 08-12-2014 at 04:22 PM.
    Hope that helps,
    John

I noticed that in the current Beta version the sharing option is missing. I use it quite a lot and would like to see it come back. (Sharing via e-mail and dropbox)

Quote Originally Posted by kmo4711 View Post
    I noticed that in the current Beta version the sharing option is missing. I use it quite a lot and would like to see it come back. (Sharing via e-mail and dropbox)

Just found that the sharing is available for the currently playing episode.
    But it is missing from the list "all episodes" and then from the context menu.