Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Playback "stuttering" only when my screen is off, new problem since update.

Playback "stuttering" only when my screen is off, new problem since update.

Hello all,

I'm experiencing a new problem since my phone (a Note 2 on Verizon) was updated to Kit Kat. I am currently on Android 4.4.2.

Anyway, since my phone update, my playback tends to stutter, but only when my screen times out and goes blank. My only theory is that the processor enters such a low power mode that it cannot keep up with smooth playback.

I define "stuttering" as this: When the phone screen powers down, my playback will often STOP for 3-10 seconds, then resume exactly where it left off. Then, it will play for a few seconds, then do this over and over again.

UNTIL I hit my power button to wake up my phone. When the phone is awake (even just sitting at the lock screen), the playback is continuous and smooth--no problems. Often the stuttering resumes after my 30 second timeout (when the screen goes back off).

Sometimes this is not an issue at all, and the playback is smooth all the time (screen off or on). I can find no pattern as to when the app "decides" to work and when it does not.

I use BeyondPod in two outputs--either on speaker (phone speaker), or on bluetooth. It does not appear to matter which output I use--the problem is the same.

Has anyone else had this particular problem since updating to Kit Kat? This never happened before this update.

Thanks.

Dean

BeyondPod Team
    Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Does the same thing happen when you use Google's Music app?

Julie

Quote Originally Posted by juwlz View Post
    Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Does the same thing happen when you use Google's Music app?

Julie
    I do not use Google's Music app.

I can try to use it when the symptoms occur--they seem to be clustered in time (the symptoms).

The only other music apps I use are streaming--Pandora and I Heart Radio, and neither of those exhibit this problem.

I have the same problem

I have been fighting this problem for a few months now. I have a Note 2 unlocked on AT&T. If I am using GPS or something else that keeps the screen on it will play just fine but if the screen locks it will start to stutter. It does not happen with Pandora, the music app built in or a audio book app I have. It also doesn't seem to care what output is being used, it will stutter on headphones, Bluetooth or the built in speaker. When it starts to stutter it will slow the phone down a ton, when I hit the unlock button it will take along time to allow the lock screen to pop up.

Quote Originally Posted by Deanwvu View Post
    I do not use Google's Music app.

I can try to use it when the symptoms occur--they seem to be clustered in time (the symptoms).

The only other music apps I use are streaming--Pandora and I Heart Radio, and neither of those exhibit this problem.

BeyondPod Team
    The reason I ask about Google Music is because it shares the same built-in player with BeyondPod. It should help to isolate whether it's (Samsung's) built-in player that's causing the problem, or something specific to BP. I don't know whether or note Pandora and I Heart Radio use the same player.

To troubleshoot what's happening, could you please get an Android log the next time you get the symptoms:

In Beyond, go to Menu | More... | Settings | Menu (again) | View Logs | Android Log
    Once the log is open, there is a menu option to send the log to support.
    Please include in the text of the email a short description of the problem, your forum user name, and preferably a link to this thread.

It is important to capture the log straight away, as all Android processes write to the same log (even though they can only access their own entries), so the entries may get overwritten by something else entirely, rendering the log useless.

Thanks
    Julie

Thank you.

I will wait until the problem happens again, then I will capture the log and send it to you.

Hello Jewiz,
    I have the same problem.
    Frankly relieved to hear it may be a software problem as I thought that my, near two year old, Note 2 (GT-N7100) was beginning to have an audio problem.
    I am running android 4.4.2.
    Sorry just sent you an android log by mistake while following your instructions of what to do next time.

BeyondPod Team
    gfplux, Under settings -> player settings can you un-check the Enable Speed Adjustment option and retry duplicating the issue? If the issue still occurs can you please forward us the android log from your device?

Thanks for using BeyondPod.

Hello johnsobi,
    I have done as you say. Will see what happens.
    Thank you

Well now nearly 2 weeks and the change advised by johnsobi appears to have worked. no stuttering or intermittent playback since.
    fingers crossed problem solved.
    thanks