Thread: Bugfix probably needed - podcast eps have wrong length, can't move through or pause

Bugfix probably needed - podcast eps have wrong length, can't move through or pause

So far I've only noticed this on one podcast, the X Minus One podcast ( ), but whatever's causing it is bound to apply to others out there.

It's a half-hour/ep old-time-radio podcast. I download eps rather than streaming them. For some reason it is consistently reporting the episodes as being around two hours long, give or take a few minutes. I can't skip through the episode with either the forward and back button or via the seek bar - any attempt to do so just sends it back to around the start of the episode. Pausing has much the same effect.

It's perfectly playable otherwise, but becomes incredibly annoying if I miss something significant due to loud noise or have to pause playback to handle something.

ISTR that BP had this problem with mp3s that used variable-bitrate encoding when you had variable-speed playback enabled, but I thought it had been fixed.

See this thread for more info.

Dennis

BeyondPod Team
    This may be device dependent. Once the episode is downloaded, the duration is read directly from the episode mp3. We use Android's code for extracting that data and apparently on some devices, Android has trouble extracting that correctly (this is related to the internal implementation that the device manufacturer has decided to use). For example on my older Nexus 7 device (with Android 4.3) the latest episode (parade 05/01/1955) comes as 28min. and I can seek it correctly to any point.

The thread is old, but the issue is still there:

On my OnePlus 3, everything stock, I am having seek and episode length problems:
    For example while playing latest episode of DailyTechNewShow ( http://feeds.feedburner.com/DailyTechNewsShow ) entitled "I can't drive Level 5", if I try to skip ahead after minute 35 it always start playing from the beginning (the progress bar still shows I am nearly at the end but the audio is from the beginning), while if I keep it playing from minute 34 and don't skip it will go past minute 35 with no problem. I also notice sometimes that Beyondpod will start showing negative time, it says the length is 45 minutes and continue playing audio with -2:34 minutes, as if the reported length is less than the actual podcast.

I tried enabling the Sonic player option, but once I click to seek after minute 35 the episode immediately ends and go to the next one, at least without sonic it start from the beginning.

Could this be the MP3 file are generated with wrond configuration? they are Variable bitrate mp3 files.
    Last edited by tech_engineer; 12-11-2016 at 04:19 AM.

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Stefan's same response still applies. It's not something that BeyondPod is in control of. It's done by the built-in player on your device. Variable bitrates, in particular, can often cause playback problems.

"We use Android's code for extracting that data and apparently on some devices, Android has trouble extracting that correctly (this is related to the internal implementation that the device manufacturer has decided to use)."

Julie