Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wear support

Hi guys,

Just got a Huawei watch!

Google Play music lets you choose playback on phone or wear speaker.

How can I get beyondpod to play the podcast through my wear speaker?

Thanks,
    Paul

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    I can only repeat a reply from earlier in this thread: http://www.beyondpod.com/forum/showt...ll=1#post13477

Even support for Google Music is rudimentary, to say the least. Google simply haven't provided the APIs for podcatchers to be able to do anything more than control Podcast playback on your device. Anything that couldn't be done in the Notification shade can't be done on the watch.

Julie

Hi,

Is Android Wear 2.0 likely to make any difference to the feasibility of listening to podcasts on a watch without being tethered to a phone? From what little detail I've been able to find on 2.0, it does appear that Google is trying to make it easier for devs to create standalone apps.

Thanks,

Gareth

BeyondPod Team
    It doesn't look like it. Standalone apps are one thing, but it's the communication between watch and phone that's the issue: there's no mechanism for BP on the phone to get information from the watch about which episodes you've listened to, or your playback progress. (Or, indeed, a mechanism to send a playlist to the phone.)

Standalone apps are just that - standalone.

Thanks, Julie, for the clarification. I'm probably being very simplistic and non-technical here, but once you've got a standalone app:

1) does it matter if there's no specific API for podcasts/playlists? Couldn't something be done using the DataLayer API, such as syncing the information as one or more DataItem objects?

2) failing that, could syncing be done with EpisodeSync?

3) failing THAT, could there be scope (aka "a market") for an entirely standalone wear podcatcher, i.e. with no attempt to sync the playlist to the phone? (Particularly now that we're seeing WiFi enabled watches hitting the market.)

Thanks again,

Gareth

BeyondPod Team
    Maybe, to all of that, but I'm afraid there's already a very long To Do list, so realistically none of it is likely to happen in the foreseeable future.

Julie

Thanks for the information July. I am a big fan of BP, however since I got an Android Wear device I have started to search alternatives in order to listen podcast while I run.

I have noticed that with version 2.0 of Android Wear, the app Wear Media is able not only to synchronize files/folders in a short time using Wifi, but also to keep the position on the track. I am not an Android programmer and I am conscient that maybe there is not so many people wanting to hear offline music from its android wear device but, with the new 2.0 wear version and API, is not realistic to have this functionality in BP? Even, as Gareth says, in a ┐simpler? standalone app?

Quote Originally Posted by dani View Post
    Thanks for the information July. I am a big fan of BP, however since I got an Android Wear device I have started to search alternatives in order to listen podcast while I run.

I have noticed that with version 2.0 of Android Wear, the app Wear Media is able not only to synchronize files/folders in a short time using Wifi, but also to keep the position on the track. I am not an Android programmer and I am conscient that maybe there is not so many people wanting to hear offline music from its android wear device but, with the new 2.0 wear version and API, is not realistic to have this functionality in BP? Even, as Gareth says, in a ┐simpler? standalone app?
    Would like to see this, too... I'd like to be able to listen on the go from the watch while on walks without having to take my phone, and it'd be even better to be able to do so seamlessly with Beyondpod holding onto my playback position.

BeyondPod Team
    The request will be put in to the BeyondPod team to be discussed. Thank you.