Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wear support

Wear support

Now with my smartwatch I can play/pause the current podcast. I would like to be able to browse the download podcasts and select one to start playing.

BeyondPod Team
    Welcome to the forum and thank you for the feedback.

We're currently working on further support for Wear devices. It would be useful to know what others are looking for in Wear support as we move this project forward so feel free to post thoughts/ideas.

As a user that has his phone currently in his pocket I would like to see the name and the shownotes of the currently playing episode on my android wear device because the app automatically generates the autoplay playlist and sometimes I don't know what episode is currently playing.

Also:

As a user that has his phone currently in his pocket I would like to see the episodes of the currently playing playlist and select other episodes to play because the app automatically generates the autoplay playlist and sometimes I would like to skip some of the episodes or jump to an episode that interest me more at that moment.

I used some free time on the weekend to write a small app that listens to the broadcasts of BeyondPod and creates corresponding notifications on my Samsung Gear Live.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....beyondpodwear

I hope this is okay with the Beyond Pod Team.

Play and pause are good - do I assume play would start a smartlist too if that's how the app was setup? Also sometimes the current episode I want to skip so it would be good to have a forward and back button. Would be nice as people have said to have the current episode displayed. Could volume buttons be added to?

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Quote Originally Posted by nickthorley View Post
    Play and pause are good - do I assume play would start a smartlist too if that's how the app was setup? Also sometimes the current episode I want to skip so it would be good to have a forward and back button. Would be nice as people have said to have the current episode displayed. Could volume buttons be added to?
    Choosing a Smartplay list to start is definitely in the melting pot. Skip forward and back (whatever you have on your notification bar) should already be possible.

One thing we have to be especially careful of for SmartWatch support though is feature creep. The small screen just isn't suitable for cramming in lots of functionality, and I'm sure that if you ask 10 different people, they'll want support for 10 different variations on "just one more thing" .

Julie

Download podcast to my smart watch

I would love to have the ability to download podcasts to my Android Wear smart watch, just like I do with Google Music Play. This way, I could go running and listen to my podcasts even if I leave the phone home.

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    You're not the first to ask, but over Bluetooth it will take AGES. For music that lives on the device, that's not too bad, but for things that you'll update regularly, listen to once, and delete it's not quite so practical.

We'll keep an eye on how much demand there is, and possibly more importantly, whether Google provide any mechanism to sync the watch playback with the phone, so that BP can know what you've listened to via your watch. If you don't care about your phone knowing what you've played on your watch, you can let Google Music see what podcasts you have on your phone, and copy those over manually.

Julie

I completely agree about keeping the Wear app absolutely minimal.

The Wear APK has support for syncing data items between a handheld and wearable. So that part is OK: you can have the episode metadata, current play position etc. as part of the data item, and the episode file itself as an "asset." Google Play Services takes care of the syncing so you're not shipping redundant bits around.

Rough calculation: maybe it's possible to transfer 200K bytes/second. Most episode files are about 1 MB / minute. So it will take at least 5 seconds to transfer each minute's worth of podcasts; 2 hours of episodes will take at least 10 minutes to transfer. (And this estimate might be low by a significant factor.) I imagine that 2 hours of play is about all the wearable battery you'd want to use in a day. So, as long as the transfer happens while the wearable is charging this seems not completely crazy.

The obvious user experience would be to designate one or more playlists to be synced with the wearable. Then Smart Play could select just stuff you're pretty sure you'll want to listen to, and sync could happen as part of feed update.

But it only makes sense to do this if you're going to be wearing your wearable without a connection to the handheld: if the handheld is there anyway, you'll likely want to be able to make phone calls / Hangouts etc., which you can't do if your headset is connected to the watch. So if you have a watch with its own GPS, offline BeyondPod might be an attractive addition to your workouts. There's only one of those devices at the moment, right?

I came to the Forum specifically to see if there were any thoughts about BeyondPod playing from wearables, but now I think I've convinced myself it wouldn't be a big win.

BeyondPod Team
    Your analysis is pretty much in line with our thunking at the moment - given that currently bluetooth is the only way to transfer data, it is not too practical for large, frequently changing media content as it introduces huge latency between downloading the episode and it eventually appearing on the watch. Also the farther the watch is from the phone, the slower connection gets. This is not an issue for small data packets that can be easily retransmitted, but with large files (the average episode size is about 10..30 mb) you need a single large file to slow everything down. Then there is the issue of playback speed (an important feature for many) - the watch processor and battery are not very conducive to the processing demand of playing with faster speed so chances are that this functionality will not be supported well either. And lastly there are quite a bit of extra work to keep track and sync what was played/deleted on the watch with the device when the watch gets back near the device.