Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to use the Custom Sleep

How to use the Custom Sleep

I must be missing something simple because I cannot get the Custom Sleep to work. I have it set to 3 minutes for testing, however when I play an episode, it does not stop.

What should my sequence of menu selections be to have it stop after "n" minutes (3 in my test)?

Second question: how can I "go back a few minutes" if I want to re-hear something?

Many thanks for the help...

Todd

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    In the custom timeout settings, you tell BP what options you would like when you use the Sleep icon. I have mine set to 9999 10 20 30. This means that on the first tap of the Sleep button, BP will stop playback when it gets to the end of the episode, and on subsequent taps, I can choose 10, 20 or 30 minutes, or switch sleep off.

Setting the custom timeout doesn't do anything on its own, it just tells BP which options you want available when you hit the sleep button in the Player. The first one in your list is the default, and subsequent options are available on the second press.

My guess is that you aren't actually asking BP to sleep by tapping the sleep icon in the Player.

To answer your second question, you can go back a few minutes or seconds (which you can also configure) by hitting the Skip Back (<<) button in the player. You can find the Forward/Backward skip interval in the Player settings.

Julie

Julie -

You are correct: I'm not pressing the Sleep Button...do not see it :-)!

Screenshot_2014-09-16-11-18-53.jpg

Am I looking in the correct place?

So sorry to appearing so dumb...

Todd

BeyondPod Team
    You need to be looking on the player screen. Tap the big 1 just to the right of the title "Security Now" on the right hand tab in that screenshot.

In your answer, you said "In the custom timeout settings, you tell BP what options you would like when you use the Sleep icon. I have mine set to 9999 10 20 30. This means that on the first tap of the Sleep button, BP will stop playback when it gets to the end of the episode, and on subsequent taps, I can choose 10, 20 or 30 minutes, or switch sleep off."

I have reset my custom sleep options (30-9999-10). When I tap the "ZZ" sleep button once, it sets for 30 minutes with no change of the screen (other that showing"30" in place of the "ZZ" button). If I tap it a second time, a larger window opens, with a choice of buttons for the other choices ("this episode ends" and "10 min"). When this happens, I need to look closely at the screen (which usually means looking for my glasses, in the dark, in bed...) to see where to place my finger to make the correct selection. I would prefer that it function the way that you seem to describe in your reply, that I just need to tap the "ZZ" button 2 or 3 times to select these other choices. If I remember correctly, the function that you describe is the way that it used to be in previous versions. Is this a change that has been made since you wrote your reply (in 2014)? I am using v4.0.32. If it is a version change, can you please change it back, it was much better the way it was before, pressing the sleep icon repeatedly to get the desired function. While you're at it, can you make the "zz" button slightly larger, maybe a different color, and separate it more from the "car mode" button--it would be much easier to use on those occasions when you're half asleep. Thanks

BeyondPod Team
    Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by sanman View Post
    I have reset my custom sleep options (30-9999-10). When I tap the "ZZ" sleep button once, it sets for 30 minutes with no change of the screen (other that showing"30" in place of the "ZZ" button).

If I tap it a second time, a larger window opens, with a choice of buttons for the other choices ("this episode ends" and "10 min"). When this happens, I need to look closely at the screen (which usually means looking for my glasses, in the dark, in bed...) to see where to place my finger to make the correct selection.
    Well, yes and no. The buttons are always in the same place, and you know what options you've set up, so in your case, the (large) first button will always be "This episode ends", the second (small) button will always be 10 mins*, and the orange button will always be off.

That should make it pretty easy to be able to tap the right button without having to actually read what it says (especially in your case, where the only two alternative choices are such different sizes). Because I know what options I have chosen, I can find the buttons very easily from their position, even without my glasses.

*However, there does appear to be a bug whereby if the default setting (the first one in your custom list) is not 9999, the default doesn't get displayed in your subsequent list of choices (so if you set it to 10 in your case, the only way to get 30 again is to switch sleep timer off and on again. (NB: "This episode ends" is always displayed, whether you include it in your custom settings or not, so it's only needed if you want it as your default, i.e. as the first choice.) For the time-being, you can work around this by having custom settings of 30 30 10 for the options that you want. 9999 is not needed unless it's your choice of default, and its inclusion won't change anything in the choices you see on the popup.

I would prefer that it function the way that you seem to describe in your reply
    Sorry - in that case, my reply was misleading. First tap always selects the default sleep timer, and once any sleep timer is set, a subsequent one always presents your other choices in the order "This Episode Ends" (large button on top), followed by your numeric choices, in the order they appear in your custom list.

While you're at it, can you make the "zz" button slightly larger, maybe a different color, and separate it more from the "car mode" button--it would be much easier to use on those occasions when you're half asleep.
    There are plans for future versions to allow users to select which of these (and other) "charms" in the player they'd like to see, so you'll be able to get rid of the car mode button altogether if it's of no use to you.

HTH
    Julie

BeyondPod Team
    Quote Originally Posted by juwlz View Post
    However, there does appear to be a bug ...
    It's not a bug, it's a feature

See the custom sleep timer entry in BeyondPod Tips and Tricks
    The first entry in the list is your default. The remaining entries are those that you want displayed in the second screen.

Julie

BeyondPod Team
    Could you please explain what you're trying to achieve? From your description, I can't see what this has to do with sleep timers.

Julie

BeyondPod Team
    In fact, @Audinus, I can't see what it has to do with BeyondPod at all.

Julie

Awesome post! thank you very much for this sharing!!!
    Street Cricket App
    [url=http://cricketgamesclick.blogspot.com/]Cricket Games Click[/url]