Thread: v4.0.24 Feedback

v4.0.24 Feedback

I have spent about a week with v4.0.24 and I want to preface this by complimenting you on an attractive redesign.

I'll pile on with interest in a dark theme, but being cosmetic, that's a quibble.

There are a number of features I am missing still after a week.

1. I would very frequently review my feeds and look at which feeds have outstanding episodes. In 3.x, I could hide empty feeds and I find myself missing that. This is particularly an issue in feeds (primarily video feeds) that I don't have set to auto-download episodes. I could tell if a feed had found a new episode if it showed up. Rather a large number of my subscriptions update less frequently and this has been leading to some clutter.
    2. There is no "add all" function as far as I can tell. I would often go into the episode list, whether it was all feeds, a particular category, or a particular feed. I could select all and add/remove them from the current playlist. There is the ability to select all, but it only seems to offer "mark as played" as the option. Is this actually a change related to the more aggressive smartplaylist function? If so, I would still appreciate the option...
    3. It seems to like to close itself if I pause it and do something else for a little while. The instance used to stay in notifications for a lot longer when I paused it. Maybe this was removed in addition to the old option to "close beyond pod" to release resources a little more aggressively. I probably used the "close" feature a lot more aggressively than ever made sense, but I miss it's ability to stay up even though I paused it for a little while.
    4. I have yet to use "What to Play" at all...
    5. I've noticed an occasional scenario where the update cycle doesn't happen predictably. I have it set to "update all" every hour on the half-hour, so like 12:30, 1:30, 2:30 etc. Even with 3.x, since I moved to Samsung's Android 4.4.2, it seems to kick the update off after I activate the screen (power saving "feature"?) This appears to have occasionally resulted in the update not happening until later on, which isn't a disaster, but it is confusing.

I appreciate the new design though, and I understand that it's a beta so there will be some regressions. Thanks for the work you've put in to it so far and I'm excited to see it develop!

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Quote Originally Posted by kbdlock View Post
    I have spent about a week with v4.0.24 and I want to preface this by complimenting you on an attractive redesign.
    Thank you

I would very frequently review my feeds and look at which feeds have outstanding episodes. In 3.x, I could hide empty feeds and I find myself missing that. This is particularly an issue in feeds (primarily video feeds) that I don't have set to auto-download episodes. I could tell if a feed had found a new episode if it showed up. Rather a large number of my subscriptions update less frequently and this has been leading to some clutter.
    You still can. In General Settings, tick Allow hiding of Read or Played

There is no "add all" function as far as I can tell. I would often go into the episode list, whether it was all feeds, a particular category, or a particular feed. I could select all and add/remove them from the current playlist. There is the ability to select all, but it only seems to offer "mark as played" as the option. Is this actually a change related to the more aggressive smartplaylist function? If so, I would still appreciate the option...
    Noted, although you can tick Automatic Playlist in the Playlist settings (which is the default for new users, but will retain your previous preference if you updated). If you do that you can just start playing the first episode you want in any view, and BP will offer to add the remaining episodes to your playlist (either appending to the existing playlist, or replacing it)

It seems to like to close itself if I pause it and do something else for a little while. The instance used to stay in notifications for a lot longer when I paused it. Maybe this was removed in addition to the old option to "close beyond pod" to release resources a little more aggressively. I probably used the "close" feature a lot more aggressively than ever made sense, but I miss it's ability to stay up even though I paused it for a little while.
    That's really under Android's control. It'll stay in memory until Android determines that it needs the memory for something else.

I've noticed an occasional scenario where the update cycle doesn't happen predictably. I have it set to "update all" every hour on the half-hour, so like 12:30, 1:30, 2:30 etc. Even with 3.x, since I moved to Samsung's Android 4.4.2, it seems to kick the update off after I activate the screen (power saving "feature"?) This appears to have occasionally resulted in the update not happening until later on, which isn't a disaster, but it is confusing.
    I suspect you may find some Samsung system settings that will allow you to "whitelist" BeyondPod so that it will still run, even in power saving conditions, but that one is really a Samsung issue. (Personally, I find one update per day is enough, supplemented by a once-in-a-blue-moon manual update if there's something specific I want urgently, but I know others want the absolute latest news .)

I appreciate the new design though, and I understand that it's a beta so there will be some regressions. Thanks for the work you've put in to it so far and I'm excited to see it develop!
    Thanks again. Hope the above helps

Julie

Just wanted to add a vote in favor of "add all". I use this to add all the tracks from an ebook CD. I'll try the Automatic Playlist option that was suggested - but I DON'T really want that on the podcast feeds I listen to - so the "add all" would be nice.

And "select all" would be better than selecting them one by one - or maybe I did find a way to do that - can't remember now.

Anyway - still one of the apps I use more than anything else!

Update: it doesn't look like "add all" OFFERS to add the other items - it just ADDS them - which I definitely don't want as a global option. Maybe if that was a feed option...
    Last edited by kronhead; 09-17-2014 at 12:20 PM.

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Quote Originally Posted by kronhead View Post
    And "select all" would be better than selecting them one by one - or maybe I did find a way to do that - can't remember now.
    Once you've long pressed to start the multi-select process, you should find Select All as an option on the Menu