Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back Button Behavior in the Feed Navigation Activity

Back Button Behavior in the Feed Navigation Activity

I might be the only one who feels this way, but I am finding the back button behavior in the homescreen really frustrating and unintuitive.

For example: Say that I'm looking at the feed for one of my podcasts and then click on "see all published episodes" to see if there are any episodes I want to listen to that aren't in "my episodes". Then after seeing nothing interesting and deciding I want to go back to "my episodes", I click the back button. Instead of this taking me back to "my episodes" like I wanted, it closes the application. The same occurs when I am navigating between feeds for individual podcasts. I open in Hardcore History, navigate to The Nerdist, then hit the back button to go back to Hardcore History, but instead wind up in my device's launcher.

I would really rather have the app differentiate between different feeds so they could be navigated with the back button.

I apologize if this issue has already been raised! I checked to see if I could find a similar thread and wasn't able to, but it's definitely possible I overlooked something.

Yes, I only noticed yesterday that tapping the down-caret is different from swiping in from the left. I essentially never want to look at the feed I last looked at some hours ago, so I'm trying to train myself to swipe instead of using the caret.

You can pick the Player screen as the target for the 'Back' button from settings/menu/Advanced Settigns/'Home' Screen. I find this far less surprising.

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Hi Awesomeade, and welcome to the forum.

Android guidelines argue against maintaining a long trail of "how I got here". It's easy to get to a situation where you have to press Back umpteen times to get back to where you consider you started from in an app. If you navigate from A to B to D to F to C to G to C to B to E, it doesn't really make a lot of sense to back out in reverse order. The guidelines recommend no more of a trail than a "home" screen or view to always come "back" to.

So there is some rationale for the Back button taking you back to the My Episodes screen if you switched to the All Episodes screen for a feed, but reversing back out from one feed to the previous one (and the one before that, and the one before that ...) would go against the guidelines. Most people will only remember the last 2 or 3 steps of their navigation breadcrumb trail, and beyond that, backing out in the same order just becomes confusing and can appear pretty arbitrary. (I have one or two old apps on my phone that do this ad nauseum, and they're really annoying.)

As Dennis points out, you may find that it will help to change your preference of "home" screen for BP, which is not only your default start screen, but the screen that BP will show as the last view before exiting the app (so you have a clue that BP's about to exit).

HTH
    Julie

BeyondPod Team
    @Awesomeade In your case, I would recommend setting the 'Home' Screen to be the Feed List in the Advanced Settings

If I want to back out to home, I push the home button. If I push back I want to stay in the app. ALWAYS.

Quote Originally Posted by juwlz View Post
    Android guidelines argue against maintaining a long trail of "how I got here". It's easy to get to a situation where you have to press Back umpteen times to get back to where you consider you started from in an app. If you navigate from A to B to D to F to C to G to C to B to E, it doesn't really make a lot of sense to back out in reverse order. The guidelines recommend no more of a trail than a "home" screen or view to always come "back" to.
    I think you'll find Android guidelines argue against dumping you out of the app as well,
    Nexus 4| The L Preview | BP evo

BeyondPod Team
    Android guidelines suggest a "home" page, which should always be the last place you go to before exiting the app. BeyondPod complies with these guidelines, and you can choose your start page in the General Settings.

HTH
    Julie

Android guidelines suggest a "home" page, which should always be the last place you go to before exiting the app. BeyondPod complies with these guidelines, and you can choose your start page in the General Settings.

HTH
    Julie
    it is set to default, what is default? as i'm constantly dumped out of the app.
    Nexus 4| The L Preview | BP evo

BeyondPod Team
    The options are "Feed List" (left hand drawer), Player, or Default - the list of Episodes, whether that's My Episodes or All Published, according to your preference.

Julie

The options are "Feed List" (left hand drawer), Player, or Default - the list of Episodes, whether that's My Episodes or All Published, according to your preference.

Julie
    For some reason, I pushed back and it opened a drawer instead of going back. Ok, I'll push back to clo*DUMPED!*

My would back open a menu, ever. It's the most non-intuitive thing. FYI the feed list can't just be a drawer. It has to be a real list. Call it something else if you insist in leaving it a drawer.
    [QUOTE=juwlz;9678]No. Be prepared to count in months, not days.[/QUOTE]