Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mark All Read?

Mark All Read?

Older versions of BeyondPod had a Mark All Read function when reviewing new podcasts. This was different from (and in addition to) Mark All Played. Having both was very valuable:

1. Every morning, I read all of the newly listed podcasts.
    2. I select a few to download.
    3. I want all of the new podcasts (whether downloaded or not) cleared from All feeds so I can review the new ones tomorrow.
    4. Those that I downloaded I want to be kept "unplayed" so that they remain highlighted in my playlist.

#4 is key. Without #4, all the downloaded podcasts are shadowed out in my playlist.

This really makes no sense. We should be able to mark that we read the podcast episode notes but separately decide whether we have played each episode.

100% agree. Have you figured out a way to manage it with the new version?

This seems to work

Quote Originally Posted by aaron View Post
    100% agree. Have you figured out a way to manage it with the new version?
    Below is a response from Julie to a similar discussion. I found that this basically addresses this issue. The one change I made is I now automatically download all new episodes. They all appear in my playlist, and I then just delete all those I'm not interested in. It makes the My Feeds screen unusable (because I don't Mark As Played) but I now use the Playlist exclusively.

[B]The difference between Mark as Read and Mark as Played in BP 3.x caused a lot of confusion to most users, which is why we have deliberately tried to remove the distinction. However, we are working on implementing a more understandable (for the majority) way to achieve the same effect.

In the meantime, you could set up all your feeds to Stream Latest Episodes in the Episode download settings (instead of Manually Download Episodes). That way all new episodes will show up in My Episodes when you update, rather than just in All Published. From there, you can download the ones you want (or add to playlist, and then download all from the playlist), and Delete from My Episodes the ones that you don't (from the three dots menu).

It is our intention that BP 4.1 will include a way to make this a little more understandable and simpler to manage, (e.g. by adding a filter for "NOT Downloaded" in the All Episodes view).[B]

Thanks for the reply! Not sure why I didn't find that thread in my search.

I get what she's suggesting .. but I don't really like it.

I guess this is a good excuse to test drive some other alternatives and make sure I still have the best tool out there.

Aaron - if you find in, please share.

Removing the option to mark episodes as read is frustrating for me as well. I also find this combined with not having an option to see unread/unplayed episodes makes the actual management challenging.

Hey, I am gonna add to this thread as it basically deals with the issue I have with beyondpod 4.x. I'd really like a "Mark all played" button to make old episodes disappear from my feed list. I recently had to reset my phone and reinstalled bp. After that several hundred episodes I most likely had listened to appeared as "unplayed". pb 3.x gave me the possibility to mark them "all played", so whenever it said "new episodes" there were in fact new episodes. I'd like to have that option in version 4.x as well if it is doable. other than that outstanding work on the app. I really do like the new design, even though I haven't discovered the playlist for me yet.

Thanks
    Chris

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Hi and welcome to the forum.

For future reference, you can backup your BeyondPod settings and restore them if you have to reset a device. To do this, follow the instructions for moving BP to a new device. That will restore everything exactly as it was.

For now, you can Select All in the My Episodes view by long pressing one episode, and choosing Select All from the menu. (You can then deselect any episodes that you don't want to include). From there you can select Mark Played from the menu.

HTH
    Julie

Hi Julie, thank you so much for ur quick response. I did eventually discover the backup option and am using it. For the "mark read"-issue, you solved for me. Thank you. have a great day.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGER View Post
    [...]the "mark read"-issue, you solved for me.[...]
    I might have been a little hasty there. The way you describe to make all episodes show as played, works only for the episodes that that bp once downloaded, or more or less the most recent episodes. However older episodes, that are still available for download are not being marked, when one chooses "mark all" from the three-dot-menu in the upper right corner in the screen.
    What didn't work was to tab the bottom line underneath the list of any given podcast that says: "can't find the episodes you are looking for? See all published episodes". Once I hid that button, I could see all the old episodes I had listen to before my phone was reset, but now appeared as unplayed. If one goes ahead and tabs and holds down on one episode, so it shows the orange check mark and then tries the three-dot- menu on the top right it will not give the option "mark all".
    Solution:
    - Go to the edit-feed menu. To do so choose any podcast so you see its most recent episodes.
    - Press the menu button (android: the menu soft button). A menu will pop up and #5 from the top is called "edit feed". tab it.
    - Scroll down until you see the button "advanced settings" and press it.
    - Scroll down until you see the button "Mark all as downloaded" and press it.
    - Hit the "save" button on the top right.
    - go back to your list of episodes of that podcast and you will see they are all marked as played.
    - If you hadn't listend to some of them you can now manually mark them unread by tabbing and holding on the desired episode until it shows the check mark. Then choose "clear played" from the three-dot menu in the top right corner.

Hope I found the most complicated way to do this. If you know of a quicker way to do this, please share.
    Thx
    Chris

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Actually, I'd missed the easiest way myself!

Open the feed, and make sure you're in All Published view.
    Tap on the three dots menu, and the first option there is Mark All Played (but only if there are any unplayed episodes in the feed).

Julie