Thread: Playback Speed while streaming

Playback Speed while streaming

Playback speed is a great tool to save time. As we have decent internet speed these days, we should be able to stream at 1.5x or 2x speed without any issue. Unfortunately for this single reason, I use 'Podcast Republic' app at times. I would love to see this feature in BeyondPod as well. Please share your thought on this.

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    I have to assume that the developers of Podcast Republic have written their own player to do this.

BeyondPod uses your device's built-in player (rather than spending valuable resources reinventing the wheel), so it is dependent on what the player is capable of when streaming. AFAIK, Google doesn't provide a mechanism to request different playback speeds when streaming (but I may be wrong).

Julie

Thanks for the response. Yes they might be using own player. I assume this because they are planning to improve the playback with the latest implementation from Google Play Music App. Apparently Google Music has own implementation of Variable playback control in the latest version. Even I am not 100% sure. Anyway if it is not technically possible with the default player, I will switch between BeyondPod & Podcast Republic. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by juwlz View Post
    I have to assume that the developers of Podcast Republic have written their own player to do this.

BeyondPod uses your device's built-in player (rather than spending valuable resources reinventing the wheel), so it is dependent on what the player is capable of when streaming. AFAIK, Google doesn't provide a mechanism to request different playback speeds when streaming (but I may be wrong).

Julie

BeyondPod Team
    Techically, it IS possible to implement variable speed for streaming, but to do it, BP would have to manually handle the buffering, which it normally leaves to the built-in player, and this would involve quite a lot of development effort.

As with all new features, we give priority to those which will benefit the greatest number of users. For the time-being, the work involved to implement this is probably too great (i.e. will prevent other features from being implemented) in relation to the number of users who will benefit.

Of course, if we get inundated with people who want this feature, and as high speed connections become even more widespread and reliable in more places around the world, we'll reconsider; however, for now the only option within BP is to download episodes if you want to adjust the speed.

Julie

Your response makes lot of sense to me. I would love to see if others are interested in this feature. Thanks for the response.

I agree with you, it would be great having this feature in BP. I'll wait for this feature to get implement. I think the wait would be worth it.
    Our company offers excellent Refrigerated Air Drier Repairs in Adelaide. For more info, please visit http://absolutecoolingservices.com.au/air-drier-repairs

I would really like this feature also being a multi Chromecast house. Every time I stream I miss the faster playback. Do I go with the luxury of streaming sound through the home entertainment system or keep my speed up listening on phone? To have both speed and home entertainment rich sound would be great.

BeyondPod Team
    Those of you who are interested in speed adjustment when casting might also like to use "Submit feedback report" from the Android Chromecast app to request native speed adjustment from Google.

Julie