Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New design frustrating on tablets.

Unhappy New design frustrating on tablets.

I've gotten used to the new design on my phone, however I think this is a classic case of "one size doesn't fit all". The beta doesn't make good use of screen real estate on my Nexus 7 (2013). In the current Beyondpod for Tablets app the list of podcasts is persistent in the left hand pane, making it very convenient to see what's doing with each podcast or news feed you're subscribed to. With the beta it is clear it's only optimized for phones since you have to flick the left pane in every single time you want to view each podcast category. This is very annoying when you have to do it several times. I have tried the beta versions many times and simply cannot continue to use it or recommend it to anyone with a tablet.

If the left hand pane was persistent then I would welcome the new design with open arms. Right now it seems clear tablets were not a priority at all in the design process. Too much screen space is wasted.

Thanks for reading.

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    You can make the left pane your default (shown on startup, and the back key will take you back to it) from Settings | General Settings | 'Home' Screen and selecting Feed List

HTH
    Julile

Julile's suggestions are really not the same as the way bp4 worked, but it is worth doing.

This was my biggest concern as well, but I think it was more a matter of getting used to the ui more than anything. I stay in the all feeds view and don't find myself having to open the left hamburger menu all that much unless I want to make changes to a feed. BP EVO is great for media feeds, but poor for text feeds. With my text feeds, I was dependent on the left menu more so. I've removed text only feeds from BP and have gotten used to the ui.

Quote Originally Posted by juwlz View Post
    You can make the left pane your default (shown on startup, and the back key will take you back to it) from Settings | General Settings | 'Home' Screen and selecting Feed List

HTH
    Julile

That doesn't help because it still takes an extra step if you're going between the feed list and the downloaded episodes in the right hand pane. Again, tablets were clearly an afterthought (if a thought at all) if the functionality from the dedicated tablet app was removed just so the app can be all-in-one. If the persistent left hand pane on large screens was good enough for a separate tablet app (great design), then why is it not incorporated in the same way in the new one?

I also have ditched text feeds in BP as 2bitgary mentioned. The functionality there was also changed a little too much so now I need a separate app for that. I've liked Beyondpod a lot over the years and have been somewhat of an evangelist when people ask me for a podcast app recommendation, but this new design seems more like a classic case of form over function.

On the contrary it seems to follow Google design specs for tablets. See Google Music, Play or Gmail for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinpalooza View Post
    Again, tablets were clearly an afterthought (if a thought at all)

Just because Google says so does not mean that that is the only way. BP evo has taken tablets as an afterthought, as do many apps that follow Google design guidelines, including many Google apps.

Well certainly not everyone will like what Google (or those that follow their guidelines) are doing but just because some don't like it doesn't mean Google didn't put a LOT of thought and usability testing into it so that MOST people would.

Quote Originally Posted by 2bitgary View Post
    Just because Google says so does not mean that that is the only way. BP evo has taken tablets as an afterthought, as do many apps that follow Google design guidelines, including many Google apps.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ryan View Post
    On the contrary it seems to follow Google design specs for tablets. See Google Music, Play or Gmail for example.
    That's not a very good answer because I honestly could care less where a design concept comes from if it makes an app less usable and more frustrating to use. To the point where eventually I'll have to consider another app on my tablet if the dedicated BP tablet app 'breaks' at some point down the line. I purchased Doggcatcher and Pocketcasts in the past but always came back to BP because of the high usability factor. That's not the case anymore with the new all-in-one version on the tablet.

Just because Google decrees something doesn't make it a good solution. It's kind of ridiculous how much screen space is wasted on my 7 inch tablet with gigantic icons for each episode leaving more than enough space for a dedicated left-hand menu.

This reminds me of the Windows 8 Metro app debacle where apps are only available in full screen, completely defeating the purpose of having a machine with Windows on it, going back to the days of DOS. They're changing that now in Windows 10 because people complained that it was an unwieldy design concept.

The Material Design concept in place here is fine for the phone, but it's absolutely clear it's not optimized for use on tablets. I can't imagine how much more frustrating this would be on 8, 9 or 10 inch tablets.

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinpalooza View Post
    That's not a very good answer because I honestly could care less where a design concept comes from if it makes an app less usable and more frustrating to use.
    Point taken, but if that's the way Google wants Android apps to look, it's appropriate to stick to the design guidelines, because that is what Android users will get familiar with. That is, after all, the point of having design guidelines.

Of course, there's no reason why you can't continue to use the old tablet version if you prefer it. You might like to use one of the many APK backup apps in the Play Store to keep a copy of the APK, as there will come a point when it's no longer available in the Play Store.

Julie

So because Google wants to force the Apple cookie cutter method, ie our way or no way, we have to lose functionality or stick with the old version? Google guidelines are guidelines, not absolutes set in stone. Yes I see benefits in it, but not if it causes usability problems or frustrations for users that paid for a product. Hopefully, when all is said and done we will get the best of BP3 and BP4.