Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New design frustrating on tablets.

Quote Originally Posted by juwlz View Post
    Point taken, but if that's the way Google wants Android apps to look, it's appropriate to stick to the design guidelines, because that is what Android users will get familiar with. That is, after all, the point of having design guidelines.

Of course, there's no reason why you can't continue to use the old tablet version if you prefer it. You might like to use one of the many APK backup apps in the Play Store to keep a copy of the APK, as there will come a point when it's no longer available in the Play Store.

Julie
    I understand what you're saying, but I don't see the point in abiding by guidelines that make your app less convenient to use on screens 7 inches and larger. Unless you were acquired by Google itself and given a mandate, I don't see why it's so important to go whole-hog with a concept that is flawed. One of the beauties of Android has always been the ability to make apps do what is best for the user, not a monolithic corporation.

If Material Design is very important to your team as developers, then I can understand that. However, at least make a slightly modified version for tablets. This seems like consolidation for consolidation's sake, not for any particular usability benefit where tablets are concerned.

Anyway, I'm feeling like this is a losing argument and not really one I want to spend more energy on. It's just disappointing since this has literally been my most used app for the past 3+ years as far as percentage of the day goes, and the biggest reason for that was ease of use, not Apple-like prettiness. Thanks for listening.
    Last edited by Kevinpalooza; 10-21-2014 at 06:48 AM.

I tend to agree with Kevin, at least philosophically. What Android wants to do isn't necessarily the most convenient for the user.

<Old guy grump>Palm used to actually count screen taps when arranging buttons and menus. Android seems to actively discourage that.</grump>

Agree, and as he said this is a losing argument. BP wants to be able to reach a broader audience, and perhaps become more prominent with Google. It must have stung when pocketcast was chosen as a launch app for android auto over the more popowerful/useful BP. I can see why they want to closely follow the guidelines, just wish it wasn't done at the expense of what worked.

I doubt this was the issue given BP (old version) was chosen as one of the first apps for Chromecast and is still one of the top few featured. That's pretty prominent.

Quote Originally Posted by 2bitgary View Post
    Agree, and as he said this is a losing argument. BP wants to be able to reach a broader audience, and perhaps become more prominent with Google. It must have stung when pocketcast was chosen as a launch app for android auto over the more popowerful/useful BP. I can see why they want to closely follow the guidelines, just wish it wasn't done at the expense of what worked.
    I would completely disagree as I find the new tablet version much better than the previous tablet version. We don't know what they have been hearing from their users (other than the few that post here) but I doubt that it wasn't good and they pushed forward anyway.

OTOH I don't like the new design on the phone as much as the previous version but I doubt their data agrees with me either

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinpalooza View Post
    I understand what you're saying, but I don't see the point in abiding by guidelines that make your app less convenient to use on screens 7 inches and larger. Unless you were acquired by Google itself and given a mandate, I don't see why it's so important to go whole-hog with a concept that is flawed. One of the beauties of Android has always been the ability to make apps do what is best for the user, not a monolithic corporation.

If Material Design is very important to your team as developers, then I can understand that. However, at least make a slightly modified version for tablets. This seems like consolidation for consolidation's sake, not for any particular usability benefit where tablets are concerned.