Thread: BeyondPod 4x and External Sd Card

BeyondPod 4x and External Sd Card

I have BP4.0.32 installed on both a Samsung Note 3 and a Note 10.1 2014, both running KitKat 4.4.2 and both have 65GB micro SD cards installed, I've configured BP4 to save downloads to the new Android/data/mobi.beyondpod folder on both. The Note 3 behaves perfectly but opening BP4 on the 10.1 brings up a notice stating that the folder on the SD card is no longer available every time the device is rebooted, insisting that I switch to the internal before BP will start.

Switching allows BP4 to open but the download folder is shown as the old style BeyondPod folder on the external although I'm then able to re-designate the new Android/data/mobi.beyondpod folder on the external card, after which everything works fine.

I have removed and formatted the external SD card, uninstalled BP4, deleted the associated folders on the tablet then rebooted it before re-installing BP4 and reinstating my feeds before remounting the external SD card. The same thing happens as soon as I reboot the tablet. Also, BP4 creates the unusable old style BeyondPod folder as soon as the formatted SD card is remounted.

Beyondpod for Tablets worked fine with the external SD card, I've been using the app for about a year without any other problems and I prefer the new UI.

What am I doing wrong and what can I do to straighten this out?
    Last edited by Michael; 10-25-2014 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Additional detail

hmm no response?
    I'm having the same issues

BeyondPod Team
    Hi, and welcome to the forum.

AFAIK, the tablet version never had an update to allow use of SD cards on KitKat (we weren't aware of any tablets that had both KitKat and removable cards).

How are you reinstating your feeds? If you're restoring from a backup, then you will also be restoring the path to be the old-style BeyondPod folder.

Julie

Thanks for that HippyDog, I was beginning to get a little lonely and now I have two messages in one day
    Last edited by Michael; 12-01-2014 at 12:50 PM.

Julie,

I'm not reinstating my feeds, BP tells me my SD card folder isn't available so I have to select the internal folder and then once it has finished starting I am able to go back into Podcast Download Folder and change it back to the external SD card location, the feeds are all there waiting, ready to update and download new episodes. I only have 16GB of internal storage so I need to use the larger storage capacity of the external SD Card.

In fact, it's become such a pain and I waited so long for a response, I've ditched BP4 and gone back to BP for tablets - at least that version still plays nice. I'm disappointed because I like the look and feel of the new version.

Michael

The latest RC 4.1.14 is nice but it doesn't address the external SD card issue

And the Samsung Galaxy Note tablets are definitely running KitKat and they all have an external SD card, that's why we buy them, lots of us, there are enough of them out there that you should have been aware.
    Last edited by Michael; 12-14-2014 at 04:57 AM. Reason: Adding a bit

BeyondPod Team
    Michael,

Can you go into Settings -> Menu -> Advanced Settings and put a check next to the option "Lock to Current Path". BeyondPod starts as part of the boot process and if the external SD card is not yet mounted and ready for use by Android then BeyondPod will revert to using the internal storage location. This setting will tell Beyond to lock the SD card path regardless of its mounted status.

Let me know if this resolves the issue.

Thanks
    Bill

Okay, I've uninstalled, deleted and reinstalled BP4, flashed and formatted the external micro SD card, replaced it and restarted everything and now BeyondPod 4 is working perfectly and looks lovely on my Tablet... so I'm going to shut up and slink away and try to pretend I never had a problem in the first place.

Thanks for trying to help, I have no idea what the problem was or how it got fixed, but it's gone now

Michael

BeyondPod Team
    Thanks for the update. Goodness knows how BP got into a state where it couldn't access the folder on the SD card, but glad you've got it sorted.

Julie