Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: You ruined my podcast listening experience

Quote Originally Posted by SOSDK View Post
    Reading this post/forum about the 4.x upgrade, it seems the biggest mistake you guys made was not "informing" people about the new version. You get in your car/bus/whatever and from one day to another things have changed (looks, functionality, buttons, names of features, etc).

I know you cannot contact users via Google Play, I know you have the Beta notification thingy, but perhaps you should build in a warning system stating something like "1 or 2 weeks we are pushing out a new major build, please read here to see what to prepare for: http://blabla/upgrade" ?
    That is exactly what happened to me! logged in and updated everything prior to a very long drive the next day, got in the car and literally seconds before I set off I opened up beyondpod and was greeted with all this 'new stuff'. Took me 15mins to try and figure out where my podcasts were and to start one off cursing the bloody programme for making me late. Even now i still miss the logic & straight forwarded-ness as 3.x.

Why have you literally just expanded all the information's on screen space, meaning you SEE less, can DO LESS and ultimately end up having to press more time on screen to get the information that was all seen on screen in 3.x?

How do I downgrade, as I am already browsing the play store for an alternative?

I would not have believed it was possible to redesign an app so as to make it so difficult to figure out how to do basic things. I want to choose which podcast episodes to download, and this now seems impossible. I still can't figure out how to download particular episodes.

Yes it's visually nicer to look at, but I have to agree with the original poster. You've ruined my podcast experience and I will now look for a different podcast app.

Joe

I hate it also. I don't know when I've hated changes to much.

WORST part is I can't change the text or size of what I'm seeing on the screens. SO DUMB!

I'll go look for better tool out there, and yes, I paid for this, and it's worse now than when I bought it!

Best,
    DrWeb

To me, the new version is two step back. Beyond pod 3 was easy to use, simply the best. With the newest interface your team tried to refresh the u.i but it is a failure, for me.
    With 4. It's hard to find some logical articulation between our need and the interface.

All I (we) want is simplicity. Don't give us left or right hidden menu. We just need our podcast list.

I've deleted 4x and use 3.68 again.

Ok, I'm going to articulate why I really, really don't care for the new design.

I work in tech support. I spend all day dealing with users who are having trouble navigating through poorly-designed, confusing websites. I understand their fustration, and I constantly wish that I could streamline these sites so that it wouldn't take my users five or six clicks through non-intutitive links to do what they came for.

I pride myself on being fairly intelligent and clever, but I had to give up after a half hour of just trying to see my episodes and figure out what was going on.

This fustrated me to no end. That morning, I had an app that I had been using for years that worked well, was clean and easy to use, and was fairly intuitive. Now, I had an app that like the websites I spend all day working with, that was needlessly complicated and hard to understand.

The only difference between me and the poor, confused people I work with all day is that I could restore the previous version through TI backup.

I know that the people complaining are only a small portion of the userbase, just like the thousands of people my colleagues and I talk to are a small percentage of the quarter of a millon people who use our sites; but it seems like a fairly sizable percentage, and maybe think about some options to add in that would bridge the two designs, or, as some people have said, spin one off into a "classic". (At least in my case I keep trying to detatch BP from the Market so that I don't accidentally update it again, but it keeps reattaching.)

I am one of those people who was initially confused by the UI of version 3 of BeyondPod. I was about ready to give up when I found the post http://www.beyondpod.com/forum/showt...light=confused. After digesting this article and spending an inordinate amount of time futzing with the app, I was able to set up a workflow that suited me and provided me with the desired podcasts playlisted in an order that suited my tastes. I bought the app and have been completely satisfied ever since.

When version 4 hit it was clear that the app no longer understood me. My workflow involved the following steps which I performed several times per week:
    1. I updated all feeds (most are set to update only the list of available podcasts, while some are set to automatically download all new podcasts).
    2. For each feed, I reviewed all of the "unread" podcast descriptions, marked the desired podcasts for download as episodes, deleted any unwanted downloaded episodes, and marked all of the descriptions in the feed as "read".
    3. After reviewing all of the feeds in this manner, I cleared the existing playlist, created a new playlist including all of the episodes either previously downloaded or marked in my review.
    4. To ensure that all episodes were downloaded (all of my episodes are downloaded on wifi, never streamed), I selected the option to download all in the playlist.
    5. I listened (my playlist sort order is always oldest first, and episodes are automatically deleted after playing).

Perhaps this was not the most efficient method for accomplishing my goals, and perhaps it is not the way the developers envisioned the app to work. But this is the way it worked for me. The process took me about 5-10 minutes a week, resulted in seamless enjoyment of my podcasts and gave me confidence that I was getting all of the episodes I wanted to hear. Given the new app, I am at a loss to figure out how to make this workflow happen again. There is probably a way to make me happy using the new app, I just don't want to invest a few hours trying to make it work the way I want it.

I have downloaded version 3, and will take whatever steps are necessary to get my process back to normal, hopefully without losing settings, feeds or episodes.

To me the new UI looks nice, and perhaps those whose needs it meets will like it. I personally only looked at the UI when getting new podcasts. Other than that I just wanted to hit play and let the audio begin. I don't know who the improvements were for, but they were probably not for me.

I bought this a couple of years ago and have been happy with it. Never even looked at other apps because there was no need.

With the latest update, I'm completely confused by it (and I'm a tech-oriented person). This thing is getting deleted and I'm going to try Pocket Casts since I've heard a lot of good about it.

I am sorry if this has already been posted here, I have read through about 20 pages of the forum & it's late so I will just ask the question.

Like most others I have been pretty disappointed with the update. I think it has potential, the visuals were certainly dated in the previous version although I loved it as it was. I am looking at going elsewhere, it has been frustrating trying to work around this new update. I will be happy if one thing can change. I have been going through the settings of the app & forum looking for the answer which I haven't been able to find so again sorry if it has been answered elsewhere.

All I want is to be able to swipe down on a feed to check for new episodes without downloading new episodes automatically, then be able to select episodes to download. The visuals can change etc that's fine. But this basic feature is really essential to me continuing being a user. (I bought beyond pod about 3 years ago) I listen a lot of different podcast's wouldn't have enough time in the day to listen to every episode I need to just select what I want to listen too.

Thanks for the years of service, hopefully the app can update to what the users in this thread would like.

BeyondPod Team
    T H

You can still do that. Open the feed (by default it shows "My Episodes") , switch it to show "All Published" from the dropdown on the action bar. Do "pull to refresh" to refresh it.
    If you do that often, you can also make feeds to open by default to "All Published" in BeyondPod General Settings > Default Feed View.

More information available in the help: http://www.beyondpod.com/cms/index.p...nload-podcasts

Response

Quote Originally Posted by StefanK View Post
    T H

You can still do that. Open the feed (by default it shows "My Episodes") , switch it to show "All Published" from the dropdown on the action bar. Do "pull to refresh" to refresh it.
    If you do that often, you can also make feeds to open by default to "All Published" in BeyondPod General Settings > Default Feed View.

More information available in the help: http://www.beyondpod.com/cms/index.p...nload-podcasts
    Thank you for getting back to me quickly. I found under the general setting feed defaults had options for me to turn off downloading the latest episodes when I update as well. I can keep using Beyond Pod now, yay!