Thread: Catching up on old episodes doesn't work any more

Catching up on old episodes doesn't work any more

Before 4.1.12, old unlistened episodes had a button like Add to My Episodes. Once it was in my episodes it could be added to the playlist directly to be streamed, or downloaded with the download button.

Now those episodes all say Re-download. When I touch that,

- it downloads. It takes the right amount of time and the progress bar is convincing.
    - there's a notification that says one episode was downloaded.
    - touching that episode brings Beyond Pod forward, but doesn't go to the log.
    - opening the log manually shows a successful download.
    - but the episode list still shows it gray with the Re-download button - so there's no obvious way to do anything with it.
    - touching Re-download does the same thing again.
    - long-touching the episode brings up the notes, with a download button and an add-to-playlist button. After adding to the playlist the episode appears in the feed's list non-grayed. Its download button looks like one that had an error.

In short, the logic about the episode state seems pretty confused.

BeyondPod Team
    Thanks for reporting that. I tried to replicate that but at least with the feeds I tried it all worked as it should (e.g. selecting Re-download does "Add to my Episodes" and "Start Download" in one step). Once you tap "Re-Download" episode is un-grayed, gets an episode Icon and full episode toolbar (with play, download, add to playlist icon) and the download progress on the episode card shows it is downloading. When it finishes downloading the download button disappears. I wonder if the problem is that the episode has problems downloading for some reason?

Is this issue repeatable and does it happen to multiple feeds? Can you please post the feed and episode that you experienced it with so I can try to replicate it.

Stefan

It happens with every feed I tried: a couple of Slate feeds, Stardate, Saint of the Day. The latter are nice short episodes.

I have 4.1.14.

BeyondPod Team
    Can you please check if for some reason "Allow Cleanup for Manual Downloads" is checked in BeyondPod's advanced settings?. If it is, un-check it and try again to see if that it starts to behave normally. What I think may be happening that you are hitting some of episode cleanup rules so episode is added, downloaded and then deleted. Automatic cleanup should not run for episodes downloaded manually, unless the setting above is set.

Stefan

Thanks!

Yes, that setting was checked. I've unchecked it and ReDownload seems to work. I don't recall changing that setting, but who knows...

Does this mean that episodes I've downloaded manually won't ever be cleaned up? Will they count against the "keep" limit for the feed?

BeyondPod Team
    Thanks for following up.

Yes, they will be cleaned up on the next feed update/download but only if there is a new episode about to be downloaded. BP runs the cleanup rules for the feed just before it starts downloading the new episode from the feed (...to make space for it).
    This is why you see the strange behavior when that setting is checked - and also why it is "off" by default.

Shouldn't there be an option to "Add to my episodes" without forcing a download? As in "I liked this episode and want to listen to it in the future but don't want it taking up space on my device"?

I spent an hour trying to figure out why my episode were magically disappearing without warning. If there were a warning that my settings weren't compatible with what I was trying to do (i.e. download more episodes than automatic cleanup allowed), I wouldn't have gone through this trouble.

Even after reading about it, it seems highly unintuitive to ever find such a setting.

I believe it would be more intuitive next to the Feed's setting under "Episode Downloads". Instead, what we have are 4 separate locations that control automatic feed deletion:

- Edit Feed -> Episode Downloads
    - Edit Feed -> Advanced Settings -> Allow Episode Deletions
    - Settings -> General Settings -> Feed Defaults -> "Cleanup - Keep at Most" and "Cleanup - Delete Old"
    - Settings -> (click the easy to miss "..." button) -> Advanced Settings -> Allow Cleanup for Manual Downloads

How do expect anyone to keep track of all those? You change one of those settings, and it affects all the others, and it's not obvious because they're in distant locations.

Update: I've been doing it quite regularly, and happily.

I'm still not a big fan of the "ReDownload" change. What I most often do is open the episode notes and touch the "add to playlist" button. After that the episode acts like it's in My Episodes for streaming.