Thread: Desktop Player

Desktop Player

Hi. I have been using BeyondPod since December with my Galaxy phone and love it. It is amazing.

I started a new job and have the opportunity to listen to podcasts while working. I don't have an auxiliary input option with my desktop speakers. So my plan is to connect my phone to the computer with a micro-USB and use some kind of software to play the podcasts from my mobile device.

1. Is there a remote-player type of application, where I can control the mobile app. through the desktop interface? Basically, I would like to see my Feeds/Smartplay and play, rewind, etc. podcasts on my phone without actually touching the phone. This would eliminate syncing issues.

2. Is there a Windows-based podcatcher can can be synched with BeyondPod, so basically I achieve the same thing as #1 - with some extra data transfer/synching?

3. Any other solution, possible something simple I cannot think of? I tried using my mp3 player of choice (Winamp since 1998) to play my podcasts. It obviously plays the files, but it feels clunky and I am looking for the simplicity and elegance of BeyondPod - just on a Windows platform.

Sorry if this question is redundant. I was unable to find an answer. Thanks in advance!

Does your desktop have a line input? Mine has one, around back, next to the speaker jack. Use a male-male cable and you're set, with independent volume via the PC's mixer. I'd also try the mic input, but only if the job doesn't need that to work...

Thanks Dennis for the suggestion. I have a mic/line input port... I think it's a two for one deal... I don't need a mic, so it doesn't matter. Your suggestion was my initial idea, but someone at the local electronics store told me that I need a software to pull from the device with that setup... The volume mixer is a grwat idea though and I have a male-male for my car... I will test this setup later today and report back.

The built-in mixer (perhaps hard to find) should have a "line in" slider.

That said, I don't run Windows on any machine I control, so the mixer may be harder to find than I think it is (or should be).

Good luck! I'm interested to hear how it goes!

I tried your method and it appeared promising - seems like Windows actually supports this. However, my Galaxy S3 kept using it's build-in speaker throughout the process... maybe some signal is missing to shut it down and let the headphone jack do the talking... Not sure.

Does it work properly with headphones? There should be no difference as far as the device is concerned. Is the cable mono or stereo?

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    My S3 certainly turns the speaker off (for the media stream) when headphones are plugged in.

My S3 works flawlessly with headphones and I use the same male/male cable with my car's aux port. It works there. However, when connected to my PC, the speaker does not turn off. I will test with my home computer this weekend. Cheers.

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Just a thought, and maybe a silly question, but are you using the male-male cable the same way around each time? It may be that one connector is slightly different from the other, and all the right connections are being made from one end, but not the other. Of course, that does mean that coincidentally, you're using it one way with the PC and the other with the car stereo, but stranger things have been known to happen. (Try putting some coloured tape on one end so you know which is which.)

BeyondPod doesn't actually route the output at all - Android does all that - so there won't be anything that it can do to fix this, I'm afraid.

Julie

I have had great success connecting my tablet or phone to my computer with Bluetooth. If your desktop does not have Bluetooth as most dont i purchased a tiny usb dongle for like $20. get the latest Bluetooth version though. (v4.2) i had to goto broadcom (people who own Bluetooth software technology) and get there bluetooth software pack (Free) and then all the drivers and functions installed.
    Last edited by DigitalCoke; 04-22-2015 at 04:51 PM.