Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No download but ? Add to my episodes ( BP 4 )

No download but ? Add to my episodes ( BP 4 )

Hi,

I have a strange situation. Following no pattern that I can see BP will recognise that there is a new episode in a feed and list it as existing. I am then asked if I want to add the episode to "My episodes" at which point I then get the option to manually click download. Usually downloads just happen in the middle of the night over wifi ?

Any suggestions much appreciated

Francesco

There's a setting in Settings/Menu/Advanced, quite far down, 'Update on Open Feed', which causes an update whenever you look at the feed. You probably want to uncheck that option.

If that's not checked, inspect your update schedule with 'Manage Feeds' to see if it's what you expect.

Hi,

Thanks for helping out. I have all feeds set to update over wifi at 0200. "Enable pull to refresh" is unchecked in settings. The scenario as I fear I did not make myslef clear is that on opening BP I see my list of feeds with the number of episodes displayed along side each feed. If I open a feed that says 2 episodes I will occ see that one has not been downloaded and "Do I want to add to my episodes" if I select that option then the episode downloads. I cannot seem to find the "Update on open" menu item.

Go to Settings, tap the menu button (however it appears on your device), then select Advanced Settings from the menu. Scroll way down to 'Feed Update Settings', first setting under that is 'Update on Open Feed'.

Curiouser and curiouser. Under settings I have
    *General ...
    *Player ...
    Playlist ...
    Feed update ..
    Backup ...
    Configure sync ...

Under Feed update settings I have :
    Automatic ( set for 0200 daily )
    Use mobile data ( unchecked )
    Toggle wifi on update ( checked )
    Dowlnoad on wifi only ( checked )
    DOwnload if chargin only ( checked )
    Hided notification icon ( unchecked )
    Enable pull to refresh ( unchecked )
    View update log

That is everything (

Right; the advanced settings are hidden. Open settings like you did above, but tap the menu button. This may be three dots in the upper right, it might be a hardware button. Select Advanced Settings from the menu that pops up.

There's a general feeling that they shouldn't be so well hidden (since they're so useful!), but that's somewhere down the ToDo list.

Found it ! The update on open feed check box is not ticked. Today there was an episode dated December 7 of a feed that was offering me the option to add to my episodes - a different feed from the one that initially prompted my first post.

BeyondPod Team
    Is your feed set to download episodes automatically? In BeyondPod you can have a global setting that is used by default when you add new feeds (BeyondPod settings > General Settings > Feed Defaults > Feed Podcast Episodes), but you can override it for some feeds (for example if you don't want to download large video episodes for some feeds). To see how the feed is configured long press on the feed in the feed list (left drawer) then Menu > Edit Feed > Episode Downloads. To Download episodes it should be set to: Download latest xx episodes and Keep at most YY).

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Updating the feed and downloading the new episodes in it are not (necessarily) the same thing. You can refresh / update the feed to SEE what's available, but that won't necessarily download the new episodes at the same time (depending on whether you're looking at an open feed, or several feeds in a category, whether your settings allows downloads over cellular data or only on WiFi, and on battery or only when charging, etc.).

If you are seeing new episodes that have been published since your 2am scheduled download, then that's normal, provided you have refreshed since then (either manually or automatically). If the episodes you're seeing are older than 2am that morning, have a look at the update log to see what happened when the scheduled download was supposed to occur (it may be that BP was unable to access the media at the time, or something - the log will tell you).

Also, note that adding to My Episodes does not do a download in v4.0. It sets the episode up for streaming, or you can go to the My Episodes view to select it (or Select All) and download it (this will be streamlined to a download button in 4.1)

Julie

I don't mean to hijack the thread but I have a question that kind of builds off the original posts question.

I am 99% sure there is an setting in advanced settings, because I know I've changed it before. Currently when I update my only feed, it shows up as a new episode and it gives me the option to add to my episodes, and then I have the download option. I want the option to download (manually) right after I update, so instead of saying add to my episodes, it just says Download episode. Beyondpod support has helped me with this in the past, I just can't seem to find it again.

Thanks in advance.