Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Controls for Android Wear

Controls for Android Wear

I have recently purchased an Android Wear smart watch and wish that Beyond Pod had a Wear application. Currently when playing audio with Beyond Pod, Wear is only capable of standard audio controls such as Play/Pause, Volume Up/Down, and Skip Forward/Back (though you can customize the Skip Forward/Back behavior to some degree using the Customize Headset Controls setting in BeyondPod's menus). It's impossible to play podcasts through Wear without first having to press play on your smartphone. What I would love for a BeyondPod app for Wear to do would be for it to start SmartPlay directly from my smart watch and have the standard playback controls, with maybe also controls for the sleep timer. Other than that, I wouldn't ask for much else; perhaps an option to synch episodes directly to the watch a la Google Play Music. What do the forum, admins, and developers think?

BeyondPod Team
    See here-

* Experimental support for Android Wear. A dedicated wear app provides access to your current playlist and SmartPlays.

http://www.beyondpod.com/forum/showt...A-is-available

I also recent purchased a Moto 360 and have been using the Wear support for BeyondPod. It's awesome! One of the best and most used apps on my smart watch. Please continue to enhance and invest in Android Wear support. Here are a few recommendations:
    - Once I select an item from the playlist to play on my watch, I can't easily access the player controls (volume, prev/next). It would be nice if that was available via one swipe. Currently you have to swipe left twice to get back to the main screen and then swipe right.
    - Additional playlist functionality. Even if it was going from What to Play, the ability to add additional items to the playlist from there would be great!
    - Ability to refresh categories to pick up additional downloads.

Please keep up the great development!

Thanks,
    Caleb

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Quote Originally Posted by rockets95 View Post
    - Once I select an item from the playlist to play on my watch, I can't easily access the player controls (volume, prev/next). It would be nice if that was available via one swipe. Currently you have to swipe left twice to get back to the main screen and then swipe right.
    I think that's a Wear restriction. If you're aware of any other apps (particularly Google apps - do you have the same issue with Play Music?) that can make access easier, do let us know what they are.

- Additional playlist functionality. Even if it was going from What to Play, the ability to add additional items to the playlist from there would be great!
    The ability to select a SmartPlay list is coming in 4.1

- Ability to refresh categories to pick up additional downloads.
    Could you expand on how you'd like that to work?

Julie

Quote Originally Posted by juwlz View Post
    I think that's a Wear restriction. If you're aware of any other apps (particularly Google apps - do you have the same issue with Play Music?) that can make access easier, do let us know what they are.

The ability to select a SmartPlay list is coming in 4.1

Could you expand on how you'd like that to work?

Julie
    Perhaps it could be another option when you swipe down from the main screen. It could show perhaps the first and second folders, then swiping to the right would allow you to refresh those.

Another nice option would be to add the ability to set the sleep timer on the playlist. Perhaps another swipe to the right option from the main playlist or player screen. I find myself listening to a lot of podcasts as I go to sleep and having to set the sleep timer from my phone is a bit of a hassle. It would be nice if this could be done via the watch.

Thanks again for all the development improvements with the app, certainly one of my favorites. I also use Tasker extensively, so if any of the suggested features above don't fit into the smart watch interface, they could be added to the Tasker plugin. That would allow me to easily trigger them from my watch as an alternative.

BeyondPod Team
    The biggest issue with Wear apps is to avoid too much complexity. The small screen just doesn't lend itself to a lot of complexity or choices.

As to sleep, that's probably one thing that won't get done, because
    a) firing up the watch to do something in what's likely to be a dark environment turns the watch into a horribly bright device
    and
    b) you'll often have taken it off to charge it at night anyway.

Can I recommend setting the Player as the default view and using a bedside phone dock as an alternative?

Julie

Hi,
    i have an moto 360 (wear 5.0.1 and samsung s4 4.3) and i'm unable to manage player, only work audio + and -.

i hope will be also a feature to disable notification on wear because not usefule for my normal way...

sorry for dual post, there is a planned data for new release (with wear support) of BP ?
    thanks

BeyondPod Team
    You can try it right now, by following the link to the beta test version on our web page.

However, although we do internally have planned release dates, we never publish them, because there's always a possibility that beta testers will find bugs that need to be fixed before release (after all, that's what beta testing is for).

The best I can give you if you don't want to try the beta test version is: soon(ish) .

Julie

Quote Originally Posted by juwlz View Post
    The biggest issue with Wear apps is to avoid too much complexity. The small screen just doesn't lend itself to a lot of complexity or choices.

As to sleep, that's probably one thing that won't get done, because
    a) firing up the watch to do something in what's likely to be a dark environment turns the watch into a horribly bright device
    and
    b) you'll often have taken it off to charge it at night anyway.

Can I recommend setting the Player as the default view and using a bedside phone dock as an alternative?

Julie
    I ended up finding a Tasker replacement for the sleep functionality that I can trigger on my watch. I set up a profile to wait X number of minutes, then pause BeyondPod using the Tasker plugin support. I also did something similar for the functionality to switch to the next episode.

Please keep up the Wear updates and improvements!