Thread: "Pause Update and Download" sorely needed

Lightbulb "Pause Update and Download" sorely needed

I'm loving BeyondPod but for us users with low bandwidth, it would be very convenient to have a "Pause Update and Download" feature as well as the "Stop Update and Download" function. While BeyondPod is downloading on low bandwidth, other apps using the internet become inoperable (as is only logical) so I often have to stop the downloads while for example responding to a chat message on my phone. To resume the episode downloads now, one either has to update all the feeds again (resulting in lots of useless repeated Mbs of download) or look through each of the feeds manually to find the new episodes and resume them.

The resume function shouldn't be too hard to implement since BeyondPod already keeps a log of all the feed updates and episode downloads, and it would just be a matter of retrying the failed episode downloads in that list. The button could ideally be placed just above the "Stop Update and Download" one.

Please consider this for a future update
    Last edited by Melk; 12-27-2014 at 05:19 AM.

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Hi and welcome to the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Melk View Post
    To resume the episode downloads now, one either has to update all the feeds again (resulting in lots of useless repeated Mbs of download) or look through each of the feeds manually to find the new episodes and resume them.
    BP doesn't re-download episodes again when you update the feeds again. Yes, it does check the feeds again, but the amount of data involved in that process is neglible compared to the size of media files that you're downloading. And presumably, if you're downloading over cellular data, rather than restricting BP to only download over WiFi, you have something approaching unlimited data anyway.

I will certainly forward it for consideration (there has also been a general request to "queue episodes for download when I get back on WiFi" request. so the logic would presumably be integrated with that request, if implemented).

Julie

Quote Originally Posted by juwlz View Post
    Yes, it does check the feeds again, but the amount of data involved in that process is neglible compared to the size of media files that you're downloading. And presumably, if you're downloading over cellular data, rather than restricting BP to only download over WiFi, you have something approaching unlimited data anyway.
    I beg to differ: in my particular case with over 40 feeds averaging at about 500kB each, a repeated feed check means a data transfer of at least 20Mb which is far from negligible at a capped transfer rate of 256kbps (In simpler terms, that takes over ten minutes to do for me). Not everyone in the world has an unlimited data plan and I hope the makers of BeyondPod take us in consideration.

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Fair enough, but in the case of limited cellular data, it makes more sense to set BP to only allow (updates and) downloads over WiFi so that (the majority of) downloads don't use up any of your precious data on stuff that's not urgent enough to do when you're out and about, and you only use your cellular data to manually update and download specific feeds and episodes that are urgent enough to be worth "spending" your limited cellular data on.

Don't forget that all of the feed updates happen first, followed by the downloads, so if BP has already updated a feed that you want an episode from, it already knows that episode is there, and you can pick that one and manually download it (overriding the WiFi-only setting at that point if you have it set and want to override it). If there are multiple specific episodes you'd like to download, a workaround with the current version is to add those to your playlist, and then from the menu in the Playlist, select "Download all in Playlist" (this only appears in the menu if you have non-downloaded episodes IN the playlist).

If you don't have access to WiFi at all (or even if you do), then if you have the paid version, another option to avoid having to interrupt your updates in the first place is to schedule your updates to happen once a day, e.g. in the early morning - say an hour or two before you normally wake up, so that the updates don't interrupt anything you're using the phone for interactively. Also, if you leave your phone on charge overnight, the updates will happen while it's still on the charger, so won't use your day's battery for the updates, so that's an added bonus.

Your request is on the "for consideration" list for a future version. But in the meantime, there's always more than one way to skin a cat ... or in this case, to handle or avoid the particular situation that is causing a problem for you.

HTH
    Julie

BeyondPod Team
    Just to add a bit to the discussion - When we check if the feed has new episodes, we try to be smart and use "get the feed content only if it has changed since last time we checked" logic. So for feeds that don't change between checks, we should not consume bandwith to download the feed itself. The problem is that for this mechanism to work it needs to be also supported at the publisher side - most publishers support that because it saves on their bandwidth costs, but not all.